Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Reasonable hotel during the Edinburgh tattoo? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/reasonable-hotel-during-the-edinburgh-tattoo-1662615/)

alwayzmile Jan 17th, 2019 03:58 PM

Reasonable hotel during the Edinburgh tattoo?

Hi. My parents and I happen to be going to Edinburgh during the tattoo. I’m not positive we’re actually even going to attend it, but it’s a possibility. It definitely seems to be ruining our chances of getting a hotel in the middle of town for a reasonable price! We do need two rooms and I was hoping for around $100-$150... Can anyone give me an idea of a location that might be more reasonable with a short, easy commute into town?
Thanks so much!
Joanna

janisj Jan 17th, 2019 05:07 PM

>>We do need two rooms and I was hoping for around $100-$150... <<

Not much of a prayer. The Tattoo is the least of your problems. Between the Fringe, International Festival, other festival PLUS the Tattoo all happening at the same time -- there are no bargain accommodations in August in Edinburgh. $100 is only about £75. $100 would be semi-doable in May or June, but you'd need 2 or 3 times that and more in August. August is the highest of high seasons in Edinburgh. Your best bet is to look well south in the Borders, or west in the Trossachs - and maybe just do a day trip into Edinburgh. If it is a 'short easy' commute in to Edinburgh it will also be affected by the huge crowds in the city.

janisj Jan 17th, 2019 05:10 PM

Meant to add -- there are some budget TraveLodges in Edinburgh -- most of the year they can be booked for £50 or less -- In August they can run upwards of £175-£200.

alwayzmile Jan 17th, 2019 06:53 PM

Thanks very much @janisj that’s what I was afraid of. I’ve read many pieces of your advice on here over the last week so I thank you for answering mine. Unfortunately, we have limited windows when we can actually travel this summer. One option we have is to come during the last week of June and the first week of July. The other one is August 18 to the 28th. We’re hoping to do a road trip from Edinburgh to a few other places including skye. Do you think it might make sense to travel clockwise and spend our last few days in Edinburgh after the tattoo is over? Or will the other things still be going on and it won’t make much of a difference?

alwayzmile Jan 17th, 2019 06:54 PM

I realize I was wishful thinking with the 100 to 150 budget. We would just like to keep it as reasonably priced as we can.

historytraveler Jan 17th, 2019 07:17 PM

Any reason that the last of a June early July won’t work? July and August are busier than late June. In fact, if considering Skye you may find it difficult to find accommodation even now. Still possible but should be done soon. . The island gets booked very quickly. I would add that while Skye is a fine spot there are many other locations in Scotland equally nice and without the crowds and need to book over six months in advance.

Edinburgh can be expensive so perhaps staying nearby and traveling into Edinburgh preferably via bus or train for a couple of day trips might be an option. Also 10 days with several spent in Edinburgh really doesn’t give you a lot of time for traveling around Scotland. Travel is much slower than one might think.

historytraveler Jan 17th, 2019 07:56 PM

Janisj or anyone, correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the Edinburgh Festival and Fringe ends August 26. Have no idea as to possibility of numbers staying on for a few days. I suggest you check with booking.com plug in your late August dates along with price range, number of rooms and see what’s available.

janisj Jan 17th, 2019 08:26 PM

>> last week of June and the first week of July<<

If that is an option then 100% it would be a better time to visit. August is insanely busy and expensive in Edinburgh -- but it is also the busiest time of year everywhere else in the country. So historytraveler is right - Edinburgh will be a little easier a few days after the Fringe ends but elsewhere in the country, especially on Skye, the whole month of August is busier than other times.

Late June and early July are 'shoulder' season and prices (and crowds) will be much smaller. Late June is a PERFECT time to visit.

alwayzmile Jan 18th, 2019 03:22 AM

Thanks so much everyone! We will look into the June/ July timeline instead. You might see me back on here asking about our itinerary in a few weeks!

Gardyloo Jan 18th, 2019 04:58 AM

I was curious, so I looked up prices for one of my fave places to stay in (or near) Edinburgh for the first week or so of August, while both the Fringe and the Tattoo are in progress. The Dakota Hotel in South Queensferry - a VERY nice place with a shuttle service available to the airport, from which one can take the tram (streetcar) into central Edinburgh, is available for £111 pre-purchase or £123 for a booking that can be canceled. (4-7 August.) Edinburgh Hotels | Edinburgh Airport Hotels | Dakota Hotel Edinburgh

The hotel has free parking, a good restaurant, and the village of South Queensferry, a mile or so from the hotel, is very historic and picturesque. One could do far worse. It's not in the city for sure, but it's far from an impractical option. And if you want to use it as a launchpad for travel to the west or north, it couldn't be more convenient.

maitaitom Jan 18th, 2019 06:40 AM

We loved Millers64, a b&b that is about a 30 minute walk to the castle. Taxi ride was cheap. Also a bus stop virtually at your front door, but we always choose to walk or taxi into town. Great breakfast. Marvelous host. It has two rooms. Quiet neighborhood for good sleep.

http://www.millers64.com/

Check out Chapters Four to Seven on our days in Edinburgh and more on the b&b. Lots of photos, too.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/londonscotland-2017/

janisj Jan 18th, 2019 09:09 AM

Gardyloo: >>for a booking that can be canceled. (4-7 August.)<<

Yes, Aug 4-7 is at the very beginning of the Fringe, International Festival, and Tattoo. But the OP's dates are August 18 to the 28th. During that period the cheapest rooms are £145. Still VERY cheap for that time of year.

alwayzmile Jan 18th, 2019 09:54 AM

The Dakota definitely looks very reasonable...how long would the tram ride into the center of Edinburgh be?
thanks everyone so much for the help!

alwayzmile Jan 18th, 2019 09:56 AM

@maitaitom, I read your trip report last week and enjoyed it very much!

janisj Jan 18th, 2019 10:09 AM

>>how long would the tram ride into the center of Edinburgh be?<<

That would take a while . . . from the hotel to the airport via the shuttle would be about 15 minutes, then the tram from EDI to the centre of the city, just under 40 minutes. So basically an hour if you hit the times just right.

Gardyloo Jan 18th, 2019 10:24 AM

An Uber ride from the Dakota to Princes Street would probably cost around 20 quid.

janisj Jan 18th, 2019 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Gardyloo (Post 16857710)
An Uber ride from the Dakota to Princes Street would probably cost around 20 quid.

And typically 35+ minutes, depending on traffic.

janisj Jan 18th, 2019 10:37 AM

. . . No being a smart a$$ (honest :) ) My main points being that IF you do the trip in June/early July there would be no need to stay that far out. You could find a nice room walking distance to everything.

alwayzmile Jan 18th, 2019 12:00 PM

I agree janisj, I think we are looking at July 27-July 7 now. It just seems to make sense. We were trying to avoid being away for the 4th of July, but I think it'll be worth it. I have been reading many of the posts on here (many of them by all of you!) and have been trying to come up with an itinerary that makes sense. If you all wouldn't mind taking a look, I'd really appreciate it! Obviously, its a very early work in progress!
We can manage to add one more day to the trip if it'll help...
Day 1- overnight flight
Day 2- Edinburgh
Day 3- Edinburgh
Day 4- rent a car-Sterling Castle, St. Andrews?
Day 5- Perth, Pitlochry? or Ballater?
Day 6- Aviemore, Inverness, Loch Ness, Culloden?
Day 7- drive to Skye
Day 8- Skye
Day 9- Glencoe
Day 10- Loch Lomond, Glasgow?
Day 11- fly home

janisj Jan 18th, 2019 12:29 PM

A little rushed but perfectly doable. I'm going out until later this evening so will post more later.

But just quick - Your Day 6 is the most boring part of the list (except for Culloden)

Think of maybe Edinburgh 2 nts > St Andrews/Fife 1 nt > Ballater 2 nts ( for the whole Castle Trail area and visit Dunnottar en route to Ballater) > to somewhere 'near' Inverness (not IN the city) 1 nt > Skye 2 nts > via Glencoe to Stirling 1 nt then fly home from either EDI or GLA which are reasonable drives from the Stirling area.

There would be 100+ other options that don't include going either to Inverness or visiting Skye -- but using your basic list this would work.