Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Reasonable food in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/reasonable-food-in-london-38439/)

Leona Shapiro Feb 13th, 1999 06:12 PM

Reasonable food in London

Leaving for London on Monday with my daughter. Can anyone suggest inexpensive ethnic food restaurants? <BR>Thanks, <BR>Leona

Nigel Doran Feb 14th, 1999 02:36 AM

Try any Indian restaurant {most are actually run by Bangladeshis} for good, inexpensive food. Behind Top Shop right near Oxford Circus tube entrance is an Indian restaurant called Shareefs or Safees which is worth looking out for as it is especially good value {it isn't hard to find, promise, I just forget its name.} <BR>There are Chinese restaurants galore in Chinatown, but I would go for the ones away from the beaten track which would be cheaper. <BR>Try Pizza Express for good pizza at good prices. There are many branches. Wok Wok is a chain of pan-Asian food and is fairly good value with a good, trendy atmosphere. Soho is where one branch is. <BR>Look in Time Out, the London weekly magazine, for other ideas, or the Rough Guide and Lonely Planet. <BR>Silk and Spice on Foley St. near to Tottenham Court Road tube is a Thai place, which is moderately expensive. <BR>Remember. Service charges are often included. If not, 10% will suffice.

catherine Feb 14th, 1999 11:04 AM

When we were in London,we found the most economical way to eat was in the pubs at lunch time.Kids can go with the parents if you are having a meal.There was no ethnic food though unless you think British food is ethnic.We found that if we ate at a restraunt during the evening it was quite expensive. <BR>

Zoe Feb 15th, 1999 03:08 AM

No ethnic food in London?! Sorry Catherine--I don't think you looked very hard! There are loads of excellent restaurants offering the most amazingly diverse cuisines in all price ranges. My suggestion would be to avoid the tourist centres and head to residential areas like Hammersmith, Kensington and Fulham for inexpensive dining in atmospheric restaurants. <BR> <BR>Some suggestions: <BR> <BR>Adam's Cafe: This is a Tunisian restaurant in Shepherd's Bush serving delicious grilled meats, stews and cous cous. You can take your own wine (corkage is about £1.50) so it works out really cheap to eat. <BR>77 Askew Rd London W12 9AH <BR>Tel: 0181 743 0572 <BR> <BR>Sabai Sabai: Lovely Thai restaurant in Hammersmith. Near Ravenscourt Park tube station. <BR>270-272, King St Hammersmith London W6 9HW <BR>Tel: 0181 748 7363 <BR> <BR>Phoenicia: Lebanese restaurant just off Kensington High Street. Excellent service, excellent food. <BR>11-13 Abingdon Rd London W8 Tel: 0171 937 0120 <BR> <BR>Paulos: Brazilian restaurant, in my own street! Arriving there is like being welcomed into their home. There is a delicious buffet and they are offended if you do not go up for more at least twice! <BR>30 Greyhound Road, London W6 8NX <BR>Tel: 0171 385 9264

catherine Feb 15th, 1999 05:43 AM

Sorry I didn't mean that there was no ethnic food in London.I meant that the pubs don't usually serve it.My typing skills stink so I find it hard to be articulate with the keyboard.