Reasonable Airfare to Italy or Iberia airlines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been searching airfare prices from the U.S. to Italy for July and can't seem to find anything below $1,600.00 per person. I have found one and it is with Iberia airlines. Has anyone flown with this airline? We flew last summer to Italy and we paid only 1,000.00.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:39 AM

Where are you flying from? Have you tried kayak to search for fares?
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:52 AM

Of course! Iberia is a major European carrier. They do, indeed, have excellent prices to Italy and I flew with them last spring from JFK to Naples. (change in Madrid) I am looking at the same flights again for later this year, and they are coming up many hundreds of $$ less than Delta/Alitalia.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

I am flying from Raleigh, North Carolina to Naples, Italy. I found airfare with Iberia around $1,200.00 after taxes, surcharges, etc. We flew Alitalia from JFK last year and really liked that airline. Thanks for any suggestions! I will try kayak also.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:11 AM

Audrey let us know what you find. Kayak is just a search engine--they will have the Iberia flights as well as others. Your other option is this airline, Eurofly, which flies from NYC to Naples; they will not be listed on Kayak:

http://www.euroflyusa.com/US/
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:44 AM

I just took at look at Eurofly--I am finding RTs in the $800 range for September and US$1,000 for July. This is for direct, non-stop JFK-NAP.

But you will not get any kind of points for flying with them..
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

My husband wants to be in his hometown in Italy for a festival that takes place around August 15th. We are looking at leaving the third week of July and staying one month. Eurofly is running around 1,200.00 but we would need to purchase a ticket to get to JFK from Greesboro or Raleigh. Iberia has been the most reasonable at $1,273.00 per person. I am afraid if we keep waiting the prices will increase. I was just hesitant because I had not heard of them.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 07:04 AM

I've personally had two horrendous experiences with Iberia and would not fly them again. That being said, I think someone could argue that for any airline today. We fly from Chicago to Italy in September via Air One and they are fantastic and the price was incredible. I know they fly from JFK ( I think) and Chicago. I had to ask our Italian friends about them, apparently they've been flying in Italy and Europe for a number of years and only recently came to the US. American Express was running a special promotion with them that might still be going on. Essentially we paid $450 per plane ticket. Obviously won't be that cheap for peak summer, but check them out.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:42 AM

As I said, Iberia is a major European airline and I have flown them many times from NY to Spain and beyond. Of course, everyone has had bad experiences with every airline so this is not to discount the comments above.

They are no better and no worse than other non-Asian carriers in coach. (I say "non-Asian because many (not all) of the Asian carriers are in a class by themselves as far as service goes).
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 12:02 PM

I flew Iberia last year and not only was it a good price (a spring sale), I have no complaints about the airline/service.
It's funny, because you said you like Alitalia, and I've heard more complaints about them that any airline--just proves it's always subjective!
Would it possibly be cheaper if you flew separately from nc to nyc (stay one night pre-flight), since there might be more options direct from nyc?
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

No, I checked everything possible yesterday including flights from NC to NYC to catch eurofly and it all ends up being about the same $1,400.00-$1,800.00. I bought a decent ticket for Lufthansa out of Greensboro which is 20 miles south of where we live. It was roughly $1,300.00 with connection in Charlotte and Munich. It's not multiple carriers and no layovers beyond 2 1/2 hours and that's actually on our return trip into Charlotte. Oh well, I am fine with the price and I realize it is peak season to travel to Europe. Thank you for the suggestions.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Oh, by the way, I read somewhere yesterday that Iberia had "extreme safety issues" with their planes. A report in a Spanish newspaper claimed that the airline had continued to fly a plane with faulty equipment after an emergency landing. I know, I know...but it was just hard for me to book that flight after reading that. Even though I would have saved $100.00 per ticket!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Iberia ranks very high as far as safety on this website:

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/rates.htm