Really sweet country hotel north of CDG

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just back from two weeks in Champagne and Lorraine. One of our best experiences was a dinner and overnight at a lovely, classic French country hotel, the Relais Brunehaut in the teeny village of Chelles, about an hour north of CDG airport.

Brunehaut is not fancy -- anything but. The rooms are scattered among several old buildings, and are accessed via twisty stairs. If you like old-fashioned European charm, you will love Brunehaut – beamed ceilings, kitschy interiors. But clean, comfortable and full of charm.

This a two-chimney Logis de France property, if that tells you anything. We especially enjoyed the flowery ambiance of the courtyard, the friendly golden retriever and the chickens clucking across the millpond at this former grain mill.

Dinner was satisfying, not to say trendy or daring. The menus don't have much if any choice, but we were able to put together a fine meal à la carte for about 30 to 35 euros per person.

All this came at a bargain price -- 65 euros per room, with breakfast an additional 9 euros pp.

The area is very rustic, and you'll need a good map and navigator, or a GPS, to arrive without mishap. One of my most cherished memories on the approach was the huge piles of sugar beets being loaded into trucks, and the warning sign showing a skidding car and the word "betteraves" – beets. As in, Caution, Slippery Beets Ahead (from the tubers crushed into the pavement).

Brunehaut is a bit too far from CDG to make it a practical pre-flight stopover, unless your flight is noon or later, but if you're arriving at de Gaulle and heading north, and want to drive about an hour before stopping, it could work.

Check it out at http://www.logishotels.com/en/hotel-...haut-7305.html
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the recommendation and description.
How did you learn of this little-known place?!
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 09:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Be careful not to confuse the village of Chelles with the city of Chelles in the eastern suburbs of Paris.
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 01:13 AM

Yes, I've been to Chelles (the suburb one) and you would be quite disappointed if you ended up there. I certainly was.
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Hey there, and good point about the suburban Chelles. The village I visited is southeast of Compiègne or west of Soissons, fairly near the small town of Pierrefonds. This puts it 50 km or so north of de Gaulle.

The Relais is listed in the Michelin red guide (under Pierrefonds) and is officially a "restaurant with rooms," according to Michelin.
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Photos of Brunehaut!

http://tinyurl.com/43k72dm
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 10:35 PM

We stayed here several years ago. Not only are the rooms nice but the cuisine is very tasty. We found it through its affiliation with the Logis de France.

Definitely don't confuse the 2 Chelles!!! LOL
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 02:42 AM

This place looks absolutely charming. Thanks for mentioning it.

And it could well work as a last overnight stay if you're flying out of CDG. Our experience staying in nearby Pierrefonds was that we left there at 8 am, returned our rental car, and were in the departure lounge by 10:35 am. It was a lovely drive at first, through the forest and prosperous tiny villages. I savor those last scenic minutes of each trip, because once we hit the big busy roads, I feel like our vacation in France is over.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 05:30 AM

Coquelicot-a great idea for a last night.

Thanks for the info, Geonev.