Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Really need help! Has anyone driven from Paris to Chamonix and/or Chamonix to Nice?M

Really need help! Has anyone driven from Paris to Chamonix and/or Chamonix to Nice?M

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 05:52 AM
Deb

Leaving Paris on 10/9 for Chamonix. We can take a train to Geneve, rent a car then after Chamonix return to Geneve, fly Easyjet to Nice and rent another car. Or rent a car in Paris and return it in Nice on 10/17. Could the weather be tricky in Oct. driving thru the mountains? Driving time from Paris to Chamonix and Chamonix to Nice is 6.5 hours each. Please help me decide.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 06:03 AM
Claudia

my husband and I did this five years ago
We drove from Paris to Nice. Our travel agent did not reccomend it. I would never do it again. The mountain roads are tough and it takes a long time.We flu back to Paris. We are planning another to France in July and we plan to use the train as much as possible.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 06:05 AM
Ross

Hi Deb!!!

You can also take the TGV from Paris to Annecy, which in its own right is a beautiful town, and then local trains to Chamonix. I did this exact route twomonths ago. Did you plan on spending any time in Geneva? It truly doesn't warrant more than half a day's sightseeing. It's an hour's bus ride from Annecy. I did this as well.

Have Fun!!!
Ross.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 06:15 AM
Jim

Driving from Paris to Nice is a piece of cake. Last time we did it was this past summer. The roads are excellent. You must consider the advantages traveling by train or car. You certainly see more of France driving and it gives you a chance to explore the small towns in Provence,Rivera, etc. Having done both many times, my vote is for driving.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 06:17 AM
Florence

Ross, I am shattered by your low opinion of Geneva ! -) but I have to admit that although it's good to live here, I would not rate it as a the perfect tourist spot).

Deb, October weather can make the smaller roads to Nice problematic. Ross' solution through Annecy is a good idea, and if you plan some time around Geneva, favor some nice place like Yvoire, on the French coast of the Lake.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 03:02 PM
Joel

Deb, Really, Ross has it right. The train, TGV or otherwise, is the best way to go. Trains are sooo comfortable, roomy, and always on time. The view is far better than the view from an autoroute, and you don't get stressed out by driving. I know that Americans like to be in control and so many want to drive, but the train is a breeze and simple.
Regarding Geneva, please don't waste your time. Chamonix is excellent and be sure to take the telepherique up the Aiguille du Mide. P.S. I lived in France for 2+ years.