Real King Mary's Close Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed there seem to be several people here who've done this tour. And, for the most part, you seem to have enjoyed it. It also seems to get good reviews in travel guides, etc. So, although I think it seems a bit pricey, it's one of the things we'd like to "splurge" on in Edinburgh.

The website strongly urges advance booking. But, when I tried to do so just now, I see they don't yet offer online booking. My inclination is to wait until we get there and buy tickets a day or two ahead. Since they run the tour every 20 minutes from something like 10:00 in the morning until 9:00 in the evening, it seems unlikely they'd all be booked. But I know it's popular. And we're going to be there in mid-June.

Are we taking too big of a chance by waiting?
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:17 AM

It may depend on the season. We purchased tickets within the hour before taking the tour, but that was in June.
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:22 AM

That's what we did in '07. We booked about 3 or 3:30, for the 5PM tour. Lots of interesting history mixed in among the hype -- we enjoyed ourselves -- even my wife, who is mildly claustrophobic. She, who could NOT enter Newgrange, didn't seem to mind the underground nature.

I think the animation of the period-dressed guide has a LOT to do with the enjoyment factor -- the girl who led us about was QUITE animated.

By the way -- I FINALLY booked my car this past Monday!

Bob
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Waiting until you arrive in Edinburgh and buying your tickets a day or two ahead should work out fine. I went in June '06 and bought my tickets for the day I want to take the tour on the day of the tour, no problem.

I really enjoyed it. It was one of the highlights of my trip.
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much, Michael, Bob and Toriliz! It's a relief to know that none of you had trouble buying tickets the day of. And I'm glad to hear that you all enjoyed it!

Bob, I appreciate your mentioning the claustrophobia thing. I was a little bit concerned about that. I entered Newgrange 27 years ago. We're hoping to go again next month. It remains to be seen whether I'll be able to handle the tunnel this time. One of the many joys of getting older!

Also glad to hear you rented your car, Bob! No problems, I hope? Who'd you wind up going with this time?
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Bring a flashlight. Click on my name and at the end of the Scotland trip report you can read a brief description of our experience on the tour.
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:32 PM

Went with Dan Dooley -- $495 in US currency, pre-paid through their Monmouth, NJ office, so NO Foreign Transaction Fee (Yeah!) and I actually beat the recent Euro/USDollar 'slide' in value, so a win-win.

ONLY expense at pick up will be for Fuel.

'Cause it's at the pick upthat the worst problems seem to occur ...

And that's a tolerance that seems to dissapear with age, as well ...

Bob
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Michael. I'll definitely do that.

Sounds like you got a good deal, Bob! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that neither you nor we have any problems at pick up!

BTW, knowing that you, with all your experience, chose Dooley, makes me feel even better about going with them.
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

I realized an hour or so ago that this should have been Mary King's rather than King Mary's! Oh, well!
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:12 AM

You had me foxed. Couldn't work out whether Mary, Queen of Scots had had a sex change
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

No, bellini, just another senior moment! Or can you develop dyslexia in your old age?!
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:46 AM

I live in Edinburgh and did this tour last year.
we managed to get tickets in the middle of June on the evening we went.
I was very dissapionted in the tour,not in the place itself as it really is a wonderful insight into the history of Old Edinburgh ,but in the way the tour was presented.
it was really not much more than a third rate ghost tour conducted by actors in "period" costume.
I did the tour with my siter and niece and both of them were quite dissapointed too,just did not live up to the hype.
i think it is one of these places you will either love or hate.
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it, unclegus. And I appreciate hearing another perspective.

The Underground City of the Dead tour sounds like it would be a little too intense for me:

http://www.blackhart.uk.com/

It's really too bad that there doesn't seem to be a tour of that area that's more info and less hokiness (for lack of a better word).
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:26 AM

I'd have to admit that I found the Mary King's Close Tour fantastic! In general I loved Edinburgh to pieces. I too was able to go early in the am and get tickets for later the same day.I never worry about the money of such things - how often are you in Edinburgh?

By the By, I also thought The City of the Dead tour was a creepy and altogether fun experience. For that I just showed up with my $10 bucks prior to the tour starting.

Have a great trip,

Naxos
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Naxos!

Did you do the City of the Dead cemetery one or the underground one?
Old May 8th, 2009, 09:26 AM

CAPH52 I think you sum up my feelins on it very well.
i am sure you will love Edinburgh.Though I was born and educated in the city I spent much of my adult years away from the city and moved back about 12 years ago.I love the place to bits.
this webiste may be of use to you ,it also has links to other realted websites.
http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/index.html
Old May 8th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, unclegus. I'm going to be very surprised if both my son and I don't fall in love with your city. Everything I've read so far leads me to believe it's a place we'll enjoy very much.

And thanks for the link!
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Hi CAPH52 - I took the cemetary City of the Dead tour...I didn't know there was a different one?? The tour in question visits Mckenzie's tomb....it was a foggy, damp evening - perfect setting for a good scare story. I did another ghost tour with a different operator and didn't find it nearly as entertaining - still a pleasant way to spend an evening but nothing to write home about (it was the other main operator - the name escapes me). Another fun way to spend an evening - we got tickets to the Edinburgh playhouse in advance and saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang I believe. We just ordered the tickets online.

Can't wait to hear about your trip. Ah! If I could move to Edinburgh I would go tomorrow! Be sure to take some time to walk around Calton Hill and Holyrood Park - both fantastic with superb views.

Have Fun,
Naxos
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot, Naxos! I've heard good things about that cemetery tour from others too. Sounds like you had the perfect night for it! And I appreciate the tips on the views.
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:36 AM

We did the Mary Kings Close tour 2 years ago in June and we all liked it. I am pretty sure we bought our tickets that day, but definitely no more than two days ahead. We also did another tour a few years ago before that, where we went under one of the bridges. A mercat tour maybe? I liked that one a lot too.

Have fun!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -