Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ready to travel to Ireland, looking for last minute advise, recommendations!

Feb 6th, 2006, 04:23 PM
skk
Original Poster

I have been reading your posts for some time now and have gotten much invaluable information--Thank you! My husband, myself, and our 17 yr old daughter leave on 2/12 for 12 days in Ireland. We fly in and out of Dublin, will stay in Dublin for 2-3 days then rent a car and drive north to Belfast and Londonderry to do some genealogy work at PRONI. We plan to stay at B&B's along the way. We still haven't finalized a base for our stay in the Belfast area, maybe something outside of Belfast that we could easily travel in for a day or two or three, depend on how the research goes. We will definitely see Giants Causeway then head to Londonderry. Not sure where we will stay somewhere around Donegal, Ballyshannon or Sligo. We plan to drive South along the coast, visit the Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher, will also look for a base in that area for a few days. Then down around Killarney and the Ring of Kerry for a few days, will also look for a base in that area for a few days. The walking tour of Killarney looks wonderful--Thanks! We will then make our way back to Dublin, driving along the coast--not sure where we will stop, Blarney castle, Cork and Waterford are not high on our list, will look for other interesting stops. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. We will return our rental car at the Dublin airport before flying out on the 24th. This may be our first trip to Ireland but we are already planning that it is not our last.
Feb 7th, 2006, 07:46 AM

skk,

It looks like you'll be doing a LOT of driving, and in February you won't have the super long days of Summer to do it in.

What I like about your itinerary is that you'll have approximately 4 bases of 3 nights each. That does give you some time to actually experience Ireland.

I guess the one thing I would consider is whether or not to reduce your geographic sweep, perhaps concentrating on the north and west this time, and saving the south and southwest for another trip--or vice versa.

We have been twice, and the lesson learned for us is to go deep, not so much wide. Stay in a few places and really get to know them (with day trips thrown in also), as opposed to trying to cover a lot of miles.

All of Ireland is beautiful from what we have seen. Don't feel like you're going to miss it if you don't keep moving.

That said, if you're set on emulating Marco Polo, your itinerary is very logical. Have a great time!
Feb 7th, 2006, 12:29 PM

You will be driving alot for 12 days. I would suggest only spending 1-2 days in Dublin. I assume you have already checked out the Michelin site for driving distances.
If you are going to the Aran Islands and traveling along the coast you will want to take the ferry out of Rossveal(only45 min) but I would check the ferry schedule before you leave as I'm not sure it runs from there in Feb. the ferry from Galway is 1.5 hours.
Feb 7th, 2006, 01:28 PM

By the way, I'm planning a trip to the SW in about six weeks or so, and I just got what looks to be a great car rental deal from Hertz -- $210 for a week, auto transmission. It's small, of course, but still, that price seemed awfully good. It doesn't include insurance, but my credit card will cover it.
Feb 8th, 2006, 10:43 AM

Hi skk,

I think you are trying to do too much in 12 days and would advise that you take advice from other people from the US who have done this.

I can however advise on Belfast.

The PRONI is on Balmoral Avenue in south Belfast.

Anywhere in the Lisburn Road or Malone Road area would be convienent. (see my advise to others)

I would recommend that you visit the Ulster Folk & transport Musueum or The Americiam Folk Musem.

Let me know what you intend to do in your days in Belfast and I will give you better advise

Helen
Feb 8th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Dingle has far nicer walking tours and far less commerical
Regards
Ger
http://www.dingle-region.com
Feb 11th, 2006, 06:20 PM

Last summer in Donegal I mentioned that we were going to 'Londonderry' - I quickly learned never to say the London part. It's Derry!

I agree with others that you might enjoy yourselves more with less driving. It looks like such a small island, and it is, but those roads - it will take you a very long time in the Republic to drive.

I think Ireland isn't so much about seeing the sights but about experiencing the wonderful way of life. I'd spend the time in Northern Ireland, then Donegal (see the Slieve League) & Aran Islands/Connemara. Co. Kerry and Cork are beautiful but consider making that a second trip. Those 12 days will go quickly and it would be a shame to spend most of them in a little car looking out the window!

Have a great trip!