Read Air France bus site ...need nitty gritty questions answered svp

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2009, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks YK for the link to archived discussions re: AF bus. I have also read the AF website for practical questions ....but as always there are the nitty gritty questions on how does this AF bus really work? I am comfortable with the RER and metro, but am open to a new adventure.

1. If the AF bus is full, do I need to wait another 30 minutes for another bus or does AF bring another bus to the front of the line to accommodate those passengers already in line? Or does the bus rarely fill-up and waits are uncommon?
I am arriving at 9:45 Thursday a.m., 2 July Terminal 1 and intend to walk from AF drop-off at Gare de Nord to Gare de Austerlitz for a 14:03 departure. I had initially thought to use RER & metro to Gare de Austerlitz but the comfort, convenience, and opportunity for a walking stretch are enticing to me. BUT my travelling companion gets STRESSED when concerned about connections...tapping our toes at CDG waiting for another bus will not be comfortable... I believe we have allowed enough time to get across town , and many of you confirmed my opinion.

2. If I buy a ticket online and print it out can I redeem it on the bus or must I stand in line at the ticket counter? Reading the AF website leads me to believe there is a ticket counter in terminal 1, the discover france website contradicts that information, saying the counter is available in Terminal 2. If I need to redeem the print-out I don't see any advantage to pre-purchase. Have any of you pre-purchased and printed out your tickets?

3. Returen trip: I understand there is slight cost savings by purchasing a "round-trip" .... but what about space and times on the return trip? I thought to catch the first AF bus from Montparnasse (630) on 23 July for a 10:20 departure, terminal 1 but if I can't get a seat don't believe there is enough lee-way time for check-in.... thoughts? opinions?

As always I appreciate your knowledge and patience when answweing my questions. I apologise in advance for poor editing. I became much too reliant upon the preview button and miss it dearly, but am trying to adjust.

Merci & good travels, Julie
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 05:37 AM

1. I believe you mean Gare de Lyon which is where AF bus #4 goes. Gare d'Austerlitz is a very short walk from Gare de Lyon (5-10 minutes). There are no "standby" buses at CDG but you should have no wait.

2. Purchase tickets from the driver: 16.50€, 27€ round trip

3. You'll get a seat. If you want a backup plan, there are taxis at about 50-60€ or the Métro/RER B (connect Denfert-Rochereau) at 8.40€ each
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I did mean Lyon NOT Nord station.

Thanks for the info, Julie
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 06:44 AM

You could make it real easy on yourself by just reserving from this private service:

http://www.shuttle-inter.com/homepage.htm

I have used it so much that they have told me to have my friends mention my name and they will give them a 5 euro discount on the return trip for a round trip reservation. That would mean for 2-3 it would be 55 one directions and 50 the other direction. Your next trip just ell them that you are a returning, happy customer and you will receive the discount for both directions. That is the way it worked for me. I am down to 40 euros each directions. Doubt it will go lower.

Many, many others have been using it since I told them about it. I and many friends have reservations for trips coming up in next couple of months.

They wll be outside security door where yuou exit, your name on a sign, take your luggage to a nearby private vehicle and you will be off..no calls to make, no going to a "meeting" place. They keep track of your flights for delays. No meter running should there be a traffic tie-up.

They are not able to take credit cards.

Enjoy,

Joan
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 06:52 AM

I have taken the AF shuttle a gazillion times and there has always been a seat available.They arrive like clockwork. You don't need to pre-pay; you can buy a ticket at the office right there outside where the bus stops, or you can pay the driver.

I can't speak to the idea of purchasing a RT ticket because I always take a taxi back to the airport, but again I wouldn't worry about not being able to get a seat.