Reload this Page >

RE: Warm in Europe for New Years?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Mary

Any ideas on a warm setting for New Years Eve? Trying to take advantage of low fares/airline miles to fly somewhere over the holidays and perhaps spend New Years Eve somewhere DIFFERENT. But, we'd definitely like someplace warm, or at least WARMER than Washington DC in January! Anyone have any ideas?

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Book Chick

Hi Mary, <BR>Rome and Greece come to mind, with Greece probably being the warmer & somewhat sunnier of the two. Although it tends to be "rainy" in January, it just means it may rain a bit more often than in some other months (like July). Temps in Rome will be a bit warmer than those you know in DC that time of year. <BR>Best Wishes, <BR>BC

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 09:51 AM
micia

I wouldn't count on Rome being warmer than D.C. My relatives live in D.C. and they always tell me they are having the same weather. <BR>

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 10:25 AM
Christina

The farther south the better, of course, but no place in Europe is that warm in early January, you have to go towards the equator for that. Rome doesn't have the same weather as DC except maybe in summer. High temps in Jan. are around 50, though, much better than DC (but not warm); Greece is slightly warmer than that, I'd go there, or Barcelona. Marseille and Nice and Madrid are about like Rome, more around 50 at highest.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Book Chick

I wouldn't not dispute Christina's remarks, but would like to add that Nice gets a lot of gloomy skies, rain & not too much sunlight during late Dec-early Jan. <BR>BC

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 10:44 AM
zz-top

As previous posters said, "warm in Europe" is not what you'll find during January. Travel south if you really want to escape your Washington winter. Mexico? Costa Rica? The Latin America forum is not as active as the crowd here, but you might get some good ideas if you're interested in heading south of the border.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 11:31 AM
weatherwatcher

The only place warm in Europe on Dec 31st are the Canary Islands.We spent Christmas there a few years back and had a lovely relaxing time.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 10:35 AM
Mary

Thanks everyone. <BR>Very helpful. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 11:35 AM
Agent 009

I'd go to Sicily, but then I'd go there any time of year, if only I could be relieved of my tiresome agent 009 duties often enough.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 03:37 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Try Malta---see if you can buy a falcon.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 04:26 PM
russ i

Malta's a great idea really. Even better to combine it with Sicily. We spent four days on Sicily between Christmas and New Years one year. We had 3 sunny days and one cloudy. Average high in low 60's, average low in 40's. Also think about Seville and the surrounding area, or Crete, for similar climate that time of year. Have fun!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 06:16 PM
JFM

I'd like to second the Canaries recommendation. I was there in December 1992. It was warm (high 70s / low 80s). The water was warm enough to swim for a bit. I was on Fuertaventura. Found a pretty cheap resort for about $40/ night (1992 prices). Lots of wild New Years parties and a bad hangover are my memories.