Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Re : Visiting 3 cities (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/re-visiting-3-cities-934314/)

Coco2012 May 7th, 2012 06:57 AM

Re : Visiting 3 cities

We like to visit Budapest, Vienna and Pragues from London. I am not sure what is the best sequence of cities, and most economical and practical transportation, we should take.
Here are my questions :

1. First we would like to take the Eurostar from London, St. Pancras station to Paris. How do we get to St Pancras station from Heathrow airport? Could we store 2 big suitcases at the St. Pancras station or somewhere close to that station? How much will it cost us to store 2 suitcases from June 30th to July 4th?

2.After staying in London for 4 days where we already reserved a hotel close to Victoria station, we would like to visit Budapest, Vienna and Prague. What is the most logical sequence we should follow? Should we start by flying from London to Budapest a
and return to London from Prague or Vienna?
Here is a suggested itinerary :

Store our big suitcases at the airport where we Fly from London to Budapest, stay 2 nights
Take the train from Budapest to Vienna or Prague, stay 2 nights
Take the train from Vienna or from Prague, stay 2 nights
Fly back to London from Prague or from Vienna, pick up our suitcases and then go to Heathrow airport to fly back home.

any advice on transportation, hotels, sequence of c ities would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Coco2012

bilboburgler May 7th, 2012 07:12 AM

If flying and keeping costs down you need to discover the cheepo airlines and the wonders of Stanstead airport.

Look at the skyscanner's website to find out about all the flights. www.skyscanner.net/

Find whichever hotel you will be staying with the longest in London and drop them an email asking if you could leave luggage. There may be a fee but it will cheaper and safer than in storage at the airport. Due to modern security there are very few long term lockers in the UK.

annhig May 7th, 2012 07:59 AM

coco - I'm confused.

where does Paris fit into your schedule? day trip? part of the trip proper?

why are you coming back to London after Paris?

why you coming back to London after your trip?

Michael May 7th, 2012 08:27 AM

Fly to Central Europe, take the train between the three cities and fly back.

http://www.flylc.com/directall-en.asp

nytraveler May 7th, 2012 09:04 AM

You don;t hve enough time to see all 3 cities. With your schedule you will have only 1 day to visit each city - the other days will be spend trekking all over hell and gone. If it were me I would pick one of the cities and actually see somethng of it - with perhaps a day trip to an outlying castle or ???

And are you stuck flying in and out of London? You can save a day by not having to return there. Are your tickets bought or do you still have the option of open jaw flights?

Coco2012 May 7th, 2012 11:54 AM

just to clarify. We are flying from North America to Heathrow airport. Then, we are taking the train to Paris for 4 days with Eurostar. Our Paris train ticket and accommodation is taken care of.

We are returning to London for business for 4 days from July 4th to 8th and are staying in a reserved hotel close to Victoria Station.

We have 6 - 7 days from July 8th to July 14 to visit Budapest, Vienna and Pragues, about 1 day and half in each. We will need of course to fly back to London and from London Heathrow airport we are flying back to North America.

Can we visit these 3 cities in 6 - 7 days just to get some flavor? if so what is the sequence of cities should we opt for? If not, which two cities should we select?

Any hotels to recommend in these cities?

alanRow May 7th, 2012 12:06 PM

<i>We are flying from North America to Heathrow airport. Then, we are taking the train to Paris for 4 days with Eurostar.</i>

DON'T unless you want to waste most of a day of your trip just getting from Heathrow to Paris.

The sensible thing to do is to book a flight into Paris in the first place. It avoids the need to go through UK immigration (have you read the stories of 3-4 hours processing time recently), you'll have to collect your luggage, you have to pass through customs, you'll have to spend an hour just travelling from Heathrow to St Pancras, you'll need to allow time for Things Going Wrong. Every time you get stuck for any reason you'll worry that you won't make the train. Even before the recent hoo hah you needed to allow 4 hours between landing and train departure, these days I would't want to bet on catching anything except a cold from queuing in draughty corridors

You avoid every one of the above if you book TO Paris - even if you want to return from London (it's called a multicity ticket). You could be in Paris and sipping coffee before you'd even reach St Pancras.

If you've booked tickets then see if you can add a flight to your tickets.

If you can't then change your plans to spend a day in London before going to Paris - then instead of returning to London get a flight FROM Paris to one of the other places. Then fly back to London from the other place for the last couple of days.

annhig May 7th, 2012 12:23 PM

alanRow is right of course- flying into London just to leave again is crackers. but if you're already locked into this, [which it looks as if you are] the best way to get to St. Pancras from Heathrow is to get the tube into Paddington and to change onto the Hammersmith and City line which is 5 stops from King's Cross st. Pancras.

here are the details of the left luggage offices: http://www.left-baggage.co.uk/locations.php

[it strikes me that Paddington would be the most convenient place to leave it, though you could leave it at St. Pancras which would be more convenient for when you come back - alternatively, depending on how much time you've got between your flight landing and your eurostar train, you could possibly ask your hotel near Victoria to store it for you].

After your stay in London, you're right that you only have 6 days - that's 5 nights - and were it me, i'd just go to Vienna for the whole time. loads to do, lots of nice day trips, possibly an overnight to Salzburg.

alternatively come to Cornwall and relax!

RJames May 7th, 2012 12:33 PM

You're wasting time travelling from London to Paris and back. If you can change your tickets, fly straight to Paris. If not as already suggested, fly from Paris to either Budapest, Vienna or Prague and then fly to London for the last part of your trip.

You do not have enough time to visit all three cities in just 6 or 7 days. You'll be spending most of your time travelling between the cities and you will not be able to enjoy any of the cities in such a short time.

Coco2012 May 7th, 2012 12:39 PM

Thanks a lot for all the feedback. We heard a lot of nice things about eurostar from London to Paris La Gare du Nord.
Unfortunately, our train tickets from St. Pancras to Paris have already been purchased.

Now we need to worry about leaving our luggage at the St. Pancras station or try the hotel, although I am not sure if we have time to drop the luggage at the hotel, take the victoria train to st. Pancras. We allowed ourselves 4 hours from the time we land at the Heathrow to get to the St. International Station.
From July 8th early in the morning to July 14th (6 nights), we would like to visit from London at least two cities. It's a question of which ones. We need to be back in London Heathrow airport on July 14th and our flight back home is at 6 p.m.

annhig May 7th, 2012 12:59 PM

hi again, coco.

in 4 hours you ought to be able to get from LHR to St. Pancras via paddington and victoria - say 30 mins Heahtrow to paddington, another 30 mins on the district and circle from paddington to Victoria, 15 mins to drop off the luggage, and then 15 from Victoria to king's Cross/St. Pancras on the victoria line.

however, I think I'd be inclined just to go to St. Pancras, drop off the luggage, and then get quietly plastered in the champagne bar!

if it HAS to be 2 cities i would choose Vienna and Prague.

Coco2012 May 7th, 2012 02:21 PM

Hi again.

Sorry about being a pest. If we just chose 2 cities, such as Prague and Vienna for 6 night,which city has the most to see so we can determine number of days in each city.

Since the train from Prague to Vienna is almost 5 hours (unless there exist speed trains), wouldn't it make more sense to rent a car for the four of us and drive from Prague to Vienna or vice versa, it's 333 km. and we could visit the surroundings of the city.

Then we will fly back to London.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Coco2012 May 7th, 2012 03:02 PM

Hi

It's me again. Assuming that we choose Prague and Vienna, what should we visit in Prague and in Vienna in the 2 - 3 days in each city and it's surrounding. I understand that outside Vienna is also very beautiful.

Any good secure, well located hotels to recommend in both cities?

thanks,

Coco

isabel May 7th, 2012 03:44 PM

I think you are cutting it very close to think you can LAND and then be ready to board the train to Paris in 4 hours. It can easily take 2 hours to de-plane and go through passport control. Then it is at least an hour on the tube to get to central London. And you need to be at the train at least a half hour before departure, you can't just show up two minutes before it's scheduled to depart. Also, the time a plane is scheduled to land and the time it actually gets to the gate and the doors open, etc can be quite a while. I do not think you have time to go to your hotel to drop luggage even if they were willing to hold it for you. And if you plan to leave it at the train station be aware that there are sometime long lines to do that. I suggest you figure a way to pack light enough to take your luggage with you to Paris.

Re the three other cities - I totally agree you should pick ONE. They are all big cites, quite a distance apart. It will take the better part of a day to arrive in each and find your hotel giving you essentially no time to see anything. Renting a car usually doesn't work because of drop fees if you rent in one country and drop it in another. Sorry to be so negative but your plan really does not work. You could have a nice few days in any one of those cities, with a day trip to some surrounding small town. If you feel six days will be too much in any one of those cities (I have spent about that time in each of them and feel it's a good amount of time) then you could go for say four days and spend the extra couple days in London.

Also, trying to fly back to London from any of those cities on the same day you need to catch a flight out of London (even at 6 pm) is 'dangerous'. Unless you can afford to miss your flight. Have you checked flight schedules from London to Vienna, Prague and Budapest? I would start there and see which ones work best for you and pick the city based on that.

janisj May 7th, 2012 07:16 PM

"<i>We heard a lot of nice things about eurostar from London to Paris La Gare du Nord.</i>"

You heard right - but that is when you are traveling from <u>central London</u>, NOT from Heathrow. Heathrow is on the far opposite side of London.

"<i>We allowed ourselves 4 hours from the time we land at the Heathrow to get to the St. International Station.</i>"

Have you factored in the advance check-in requirement at St Pancras? If I were you - I'd seriously consider 'eating' the Eurostar tickets (there is a VERY good chance you won't make it in time anyway) and book an onward flight straight from LHR to CDG. 4 hours is the absolute <i>minimum</i> I'd ever consider for the LHR/St Pancras connection and this summer it could take much longer. You could still be at LHR when you are supposed to checkin at St Pancras.

OR - you could be very lucky and breeze through the formalities and transfer and have time to spare, but the odds are not good.

Coco2012 May 8th, 2012 07:29 AM

Thanks for all the advice. This is quite confusing. Right now, we our Paris Train ticket already bought. We just have to hope that the plane will land on time and clearing customs would go smoothly. Depending on the time we have, we may just either store our suitcase at St. Pancras Station and take it with us to Paris and bring it back to London.

The part that is still not resolved is travelling from London to Prague or to Vienna and back to London to one of those 2 cities. The question is which city will require more days as we have a total of 6 nights. Perhaps, we should do London - Prague (flights are cheaper than to Vienna)and stay in Prague 2 nights, take an early train on july 10th to Viennna and stay nights and fly back to London from Vienna on the 14th.

Any activities recommended in Prague? in Vienna?
Any nice hotels with Wifi recommended in Prague? in Vienna?

thanks.
Coco2012

RJames May 8th, 2012 07:46 AM

"We just have to hope that the plane will land on time and clearing customs would go smoothly."

Exactly why you need a plan B. There have been recent reports of long lines at LHR for immigration and customs. Train delays are another possibility, earlier this year when I was in London the HEX was not running on a regular schedule and there was one train every hour to Paddington stn. Underground delays are another possibility. For you to be able to get to St Pancras in four hours you need everything to go off without a hitch - that's not impossible but the odds aren't in your favour.

As for Vienna or Prague you need to decide which city appeals more. I would spend longer in Vienna than Prague, but I wouldn't bother going to Prague for just one day - your two night stay is only one full sightseeing day.

"Any activities recommended in Prague? in Vienna?"

Read the destinations guide on this website for information about sights in both cities.

alanRow May 8th, 2012 02:26 PM

<i>the best way to get to St. Pancras from Heathrow is to get the tube into Paddington and to change onto the Hammersmith and City line which is 5 stops from King's Cross st. Pancras. </i>

My idea of Hell, it's expensive, you might have to do the connection in the middle of the rush hour with thousands of commuters around and it's expensive - did I mention that.

The best way is to take the Tube direct from Heathrow to St Pancras. You then only have to worry about exiting the Tube station. It's not significantly slower than the HEX / Tube combination but it's a several times cheaper.

If you don't want to spend time with the lower orders then book a car service from Heathrow to St Pancras - it'll cost less than 2 sets of HEX plus Tube tickets.

<i>"We allowed ourselves 4 hours from the time we land at the Heathrow to get to the St. International Station."</i>

That's the minimum I'd allow - and that's for an internal flight into Heathrow where immigration isn't a problem.

emily71 May 8th, 2012 03:52 PM

I have done the Heathrow to St. Pancras and while all factors worked out it still took 3 hrs minimum on a good day. Now with the lines at Heathrow, I doubt I'd be that lucky.

You should take the Picadilly Line from the airport to Kings Cross. Yes it will be rush hour but you will be able to get a seat and space for luggage.

Coco2012 May 9th, 2012 06:53 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. After serious consideration, I think the best thing is to fly from London Heathrow with British Airways to Prague, spend 2 nights in Prague, take a train Vienna, stay 4 nights in Vienna and return to London with British Airways which lands at Heathrow from which we fly back home.

A couple questions. Is it worth taking a taxi from the hotel close to Victoria Station to Heathrow Airport if there are 4 of us rather with luggage rather than pay for metro, etc
How long is the ride to LHR and what will it cost?

Any suggestion as what would be the best train to take from Prague to Vienna? Is there a speed train?

Any highly recommended hotels in Prague and Vienna?
Any recommended activities/sight seeing in both cities in the time we have?

Thanks,
Coco2012