Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

RE: Should i believe the weather reports on the internet for Germany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for Germany on Thursday and we've been looking at the 10 day weather forecast for
Berlin and Heidelberg,Munich and
Vienna. It looks like it will be cool and rainy. In the past, the reports have not be accurate thank goodness for the weather change.
If it should stay cool and rainy, do we need a jacket? We're taking carry on and we dont want to be
burdoned with any extra clothing.

Thanks to all of you fodorites for all of your expert advice and info.
This is a wondeful website and I've learned so much thanks to all of you. natjgc
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would bring a light jacket and layers. The weather doesn't look too bad on wetter.com. I find weather forecasts are believable up to 5 days ahead and afterwards it's is just an " intelligent guess" that might well change.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 04:56 AM

Here's is what I bring in my carry-on:

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=1440268

Since you will be there in August, you might want to take only one sweater but make it a polar fleece so you will be warm if it is cold and stay warm if it gets wet.

Always take a packable (unlined) rain shell. I used to pack the top half of a Costco rainsuit but have since purchased a nicer gortex. It can literally rain anytime/anywhere in Europe.

I'm watching the Tour de France. They had rain and cold weather a few days ago in Toulouse.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 05:02 AM

This close to your travel date, I've found reliable weather sites like weather.com are usually pretty accurate. Considering your destinations, I'd certainly take a light weather-proof jacket/windbreaker.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 05:28 AM

A 10 day weather forecast may show a general trend but no accurate predictions. Anything further in advance is mere guesswork.

General rule: Never ever travel in these parts of the world without a light rainroof jacket, a sweater and an umbrella in your luggage.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 05:53 AM

We have Atlantic climate. Any forecast which exceeds 3 days is completely unreliable. Simply forget it.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 08:09 AM
JP

You can check the same period from previous years to get an idea of the possibilities: http://tinyurl.com/5qz32s
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:41 AM

This summer is bad. Cold in the morning, but o.k. for T-Shirts in the afternoon. Stupid rain...
I wish, I 'd live in a place, where I would need AC. ;-)
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:56 AM

Easy...CNN and others post actual weather on a continual basis. Clothing, buy plastic rain and trouser outfits. Try a sports shop. They will fit in a pocket. You can buy great sweaters to go under them if it gets cold. If you like the sweaters, mail them home. Print addresses. Buy mailing envelopes at any supermarket.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

I see that the temperature varies
quite a bit from the 60's to the 80's during the day. It can get chilly at night...
logos, if you had to have AC every day, it would get old. Believe me where we live in the Midwest it hits
90-100 degrees very often and it is
horrible.. Cool weather will be a welcome change. Just packing for this takes a little more time and thought.. That's all
G steed, thanks for the tip
Thanks to all again. natjgc