re-ordering

Jan 7th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

re-ordering

I'm afraid I may have planned too quickly. My wife, daughter & I are leaving Philadelphia, PA for Milan, the 29th of September. We return the 13th of October. We have 14 days in which to see as much of Italy, as possible. We are staying in Milan for 2 nights. Then to Venice for 3, Moving to Rome for 3, then to Florence for 3. Two nights will be used for flying. Any suggestions or recomendations will be helpful. Thanks
Jan 7th, 2005, 11:39 PM

leSenator: Milan is a chic, modern upscale city. If that is what you are looking for, than two days are fine. If you are looking for "old world" Italy, stay in Milan one day and night, enough to see the Cathedral, perhaps take in an opera and visit some of the very toni shops and move on.
You should really go from Venice to Florence to Rome. Otherwise, you are doubling back (Rome to Florence).
With one day in Milan, I count twelve days counting your travel days. I would cut one day out of Florence and add it to Rome and do two days at Siena with a day trip from there to San Gimignano.
So, ideally, you would do Milan (1), Venice (3), Florence (2), Siena (2), Rome (4) in that order. This would give you a very nice introduction to Italy.
Have a great trip.
Jan 7th, 2005, 11:54 PM

leSenator,
Your calculations don't add up to mine....you have 14 days, one day is lost for the red eye flight over so in most cases you'd have 13 nights to plan for. The return flight is generally not an overnight flight to Philly. So you have only alloted 11 nights in your draft itinerary, you have 2 more. Are you flying into Malpensa airport outside of Milan? If so, rethink staying in Milan unless there's something there you really want to see...the best place to go especially just off the plane is one of the quaint towns on Lake Maggiore, Stresa is recommended. Venice for 3 nights is ok but you could pare that down to 2 for a first trip. For me its a love/hate relationship with that city. At times its just incredible, at others so crowded with people I just want the hell out. Rome 3 nights is adequate, again depends on what you want to see. You really might want to allot some time to see some of Tuscany and/or Umbria enroute from Rome to Florence. Favorites are Orvieto, Assisi and Siena. Though other smaller treasures in the region abound, you could spend months trying to see them all.
Suggestion if you are travelling from Venice directly to Rome look into a cheap flight vs. the train, train takes a long time....flights can be quick and cheap. Look at www.whichbudget.com for options on that. Have a great trip.

Search this Thread