RE: Looking for a place to go!

Jul 5th, 2001, 08:00 AM
Mary

RE: Looking for a place to go!

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a relatively cheap place to visit in Europe in Sept. I know there are a ton of bargain deals going on, but they all seem to be for the summer. Does anyone know of any packages/websites that would offer prices on air and hotel, or does anyone know where and when to travel in order to take advantage of cheaper fares?

Jul 5th, 2001, 10:51 PM
Leslie

Go on American Airlines website at www.aa.com...I notice they have a fall fare sale to Europe going on but destination depends on your city of origin which you don't mention. Also, look at www.bestfares.com.

Jul 6th, 2001, 05:11 AM
Ann

Where have you seen tons of bargains? I can't find any decent flights.

Thanks Leslie-I'm going to check out American.

Jul 6th, 2001, 05:27 AM
elvira

Least expensive countries all around: Malta, Portugal, Greece - all are wonderful in September

Look for alternatives to the large cities, especially for your outbound flight: Manchester i/o London; Lyon or Brussels i/o Paris; Naples i/o Rome.

Check consolidators for cheap flights; they buy up oddball tickets, so you might end up taking Air Jordan to Barcelona.

Stay in one place and rent an apartment or small house. If traveling with a few people, this ends up being cheaper than hotel rooms, and the added advantage of making your own meals to save money.

Check British Airways and Jet Vacations; also Alitalia. They often have hotel/airfare combinations that are very good bargains.

Jul 6th, 2001, 10:21 AM
Art

Mary, Check out the Czech Republic and Hungary. They are much less expensive then most of western Europe and have beautiful cities in Prague and Budapest great day trips into the country.
The weather is very nice in September. This year we are going to Poland and Romania, even further east and less expensive.
Regards,
Art

Jul 6th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Rex

There have been some cheap fares on American (and on United) to London and Brussels - - and maybe other destinations - - but NOT Italy!! We have been dismayed by the absence of bargains to Italy - - for the fall Fodorites trip, in particular.

Somewhat reluctantly, we have settled on a Lufthansa consolidator fare from www.the-joy-of-travel.com - - no reluctance about dealing with this company though - - informative, polite and professional.

Better deals MIGHT have been available (using TWO airlines) through Brussels or London (RyanAir, VirginExpress, BA or Alitalia) but all involved uncertainties that ultimately - - didnt seem worth saving a few dollars for.

Still would be happy to share info with any interested takers for the September trip. I will be updating soon the itinerary info available on www.rexbickers.italy.com - - a totally non-profit, non-commercial organized and planned by and for visitors to the this message board.

Best wishes,

Rex Bickers
Westerville, Ohio