Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   RE First time to Prague (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/re-first-time-to-prague-168505/)

Den4001 Jan 2nd, 2008 01:52 PM

RE First time to Prague

I plan on staying the first 2 nights at the Prague Courtyard hotel at airport then going to the Marriott in city. Can you recommend any good restaurants that don't have pork and dumplings . I would prefer pizza,italian,thai. Help!! I plan on going to The Decorative Arts Museum? Any other museums that
are worth visiting?

Thanks
Denise

Thanks
Denise

nytraveler Jan 2nd, 2008 04:42 PM

Prague is, in fact, very cosmopolitan and you can find almost any type of food you want.

And even in restaurants with Czech food there is much more than pork and dumplings. (And I don;t know if it's just that you don;t like pork - but in fact it's a relatively healthy meat in appropriate portions.)

amp322 Jan 3rd, 2008 03:43 PM

There are tons of Italian places there. Ambiente is one of them (Old Town location, as well as Vinohrady). www.ambi.cz There is a place that makes homemade pasta behind the Bota shoe store in Wenceslas Square. Great stuff. You will have no trouble finding pasta, even in traditional Czech restaurants. Noodles are everywhere.

I would stay away from Thai food in that town, unless someone recommends a great place. The noodles are typically soggy, and the sauce is nasty (especially the place in the Flora mall!!)

Mucha museum is OK. Gift shop there is great (you can get in the shop for free, and just skip the museum!)

I would just make a point to see some of the churches, like St Nicholas and St Tomas in Mala Strana. Unbelievable inside.

gabrieltraian Jan 3rd, 2008 03:59 PM

I've just finished writing my trip report covering Prague, Dresden and Berlin

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35093170

We spent 3 days in Prague, maybe you get soome ideas from there.

We liked the Naprstek Ethnological Museum and the collection at Lobkovitz Palace (within the castle grounds). Sternberg Palace (near the castle) also has a good 16th to 18th centuries European art collection.

Den4001 Jan 9th, 2008 01:42 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. I plan on getting the Prague Card but should a get the metro card with it?It costs 440cz extra for 3 days. I enjoy walking and would have no problem wallking many miles visiting sights. I think its the only way to explore a city.

Thanks
Denise

carolinetaylor Jan 9th, 2008 01:54 PM

If its your first trip to Prague, you have to visit the Castle, it is beautiful. I spent most of the day walking around there.

But Prague is one of those cities where walking around looking at architecture is one of the best things you can do.

Oh and there are plenty of Italian restaurants around Prague, although we never ate in one i'm sure others will recommend them

annhig Jan 9th, 2008 01:56 PM

Hi, Denise,

do you have a particular reason for staying out at the airport? it would have to be a very good one as it is quite a long way out of town.

there is lots to see - the old town, lots of museums, the opera, lovely old art deco buildings, Dvorvak's house...any good guide book will help you fill your time. and nice shops - even a tesco!

as for food, yes you can get plates ful of stodge - our first meal included both potato and bread dumplings! But we soon learnt where to find lighter fare.

have fun,

regards, ann

kappa Jan 9th, 2008 02:47 PM

Italian : Perhaps amp322 meant bAta chain shoe store. There is a Italian place with good reputation behind it. I forget the name.Ambiente restaurants (mostly Italian and some Argentinian steak house type) are usually considered good. Also Kogo restaurants. All these are well known so if you google, you will find the addresses easily.

Thai : I don't known how many of them amp tried but those where I have been to were good. But I got the names from TA.com and Praguepost.com.

Lemon Leaf (new town): They serve Thai and Italian (LOL) so far from pure Thai but the atmosphere was great there (been there twice)and the usual fairs I tried, soups and curry were good. They have sticky rice wrapped in bamboo leaves too.

Modrý Zub: Near Wencelas Square. This place is considered Thai fast food. They have a cafe area in front and Thai fast food counter in the back. You can eat in the back but what I like is to take a seat at the cafe area, order and eat there. That's more comfortable than eating in the back and the prices are the same. No gastronomy by no means but I like the place and usual fairs such as chicken Satay, curries, and soups are good if not nothing extraordinary. Besides, they are cheap. When I visit Prague, usually I eat there at least once. Easy/cheap comfort food place to me, curry, rice, and Pilsner beer.

Orange Moon : In Jewish quarter. This one I have never been to but read one of the best Thai (and Birman?) place in Prague. Seems pricier than above two but seems also like a bit gastromic place. Perhaps Mariott is close to this restaurant.

3days (72hrs) public transport ticket that is good for all metro/tram/bus is czk220 and you can buy it at the airport, at metro stations. Compare and you decide which is better. If you are there longer longer than 72hours, 7day ticket is czk280 that's only a bit more than 3day's price.