Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   RCi Members: Anyone want to talk about timesharing in Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rci-members-anyone-want-to-talk-about-timesharing-in-europe-96629/)

Edward Dec 15th, 2000 08:19 AM

RCi Members: Anyone want to talk about timesharing in Europe?

O.K. RCI works great for skiing and Mexico, Hawaii, usually tourist destinations. However, the Europe bug has hit home and now we find out that the big book is very deceptive when it comes to European destinations. Case in point, Venice and London. About five properties each, but near impossible to get into - a two year wait and you need to leave your dates open for a year! And then maybe NO. Hello! What working stiff can do that? What is your experience with RCI European destinations? Looks like I can go to Bavaria, Malta, Costa de Sol, perhaps Italian Alps all off-off season. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to go to these places, just surprised about the lack of European choice I was ignorant about when I "signed up". Maybe I should just forgettaboutit and find my own accomodation. Any experiences? Feel free to email me. Thanks. <BR>- Edward

xxx Dec 15th, 2000 08:51 AM

Edward, I am unfamiliar with RCI but here is my opinion. I would probably nix the compromise you would have to make to get into you're "free" timeshare unit in favor of going where you want to, when you want to. See what you want to see, that is what life and travel are about. If you really want to see Venice and London, you'll only regret it if you don't go. Save the timeshare for skiing.

yyyy Dec 15th, 2000 09:14 AM

Edward: <BR>We have NEVER been sucessful in getting what we wanted or where we wanted when we wanted to go. Good Luck!

kk Dec 15th, 2000 10:20 AM

Edward, thanks for asking this question...very timely for me because I was going to try RCI for a week in Europe....Germany or Italy...in April. Sounds like I have a fat chance! I realized those Venetian ones would never be possible but I thought maybe something else. I think I will try in January (can't do it earlier for various reasons) so I know the pickings will be slim...or perhaps non-existant. I will let you know what happens. kk

Tammy Dec 15th, 2000 10:31 AM

I'm glad this question was asked. My parents have a RCI timeshare and we were thinking about using it for London in 2002. Now I know that it really wouldn't be that great of an idea, and I can start researching apartment/studio options. <BR> <BR>What about buying a timeshare in Europe, has anyone done that? If so, are you getting the use out of it that you thought? I've kicked the idea around, but really haven't researched it much. <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>

Susan Dec 15th, 2000 11:12 AM

The exchanges do work well outside of Europe, but the European places don't have very many units that are reserved for time share. If you think Venice & London are bad, note that there was only one in Paris, they've just added a second, but very little chance of getting in. Also, the ones in Switzerland are in inconvenient locations.

Fred Dec 15th, 2000 12:40 PM

Hi Edward. <BR>We have had good luck trading our timeshares for places in Germany and Austria. In 1995 we stayed at a place call Hotel Alpenrose from Dec. 2 nd thru Dec 16 th right in Howenswhaugua <BR>where Neuchswanstein is located. Hope my spelling is close. Then went to <BR>Oberstuafen from Dec 16 th thru Dec 23rd. Both were 1 Bedroom Units. <BR>In 1999 we spent a week in Sept at a timeshare in Mitterfels about 65 miles from Munich and went to Octoberfest and then 2 weeks at another timeshare in Grundlesee. Again both were 1 bedroom sleeps 4 units. Timeshares are based on trading power. We had a great time at all units. Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any more questions. <BR>Fred

Fred Dec 15th, 2000 12:42 PM

Hi Edward. <BR>Sorry I posted the wrong e-mail on the response above it is [email protected]

Royce Dec 15th, 2000 12:43 PM

I agree with the difficulty expressed, to a point. The best and easiest places to exchange into are definitely England, Scotland, southern Germany, Austria and southern Spain.In Scotland we got three timeshares in a row, one near Edinburgh, one in Aviemore and one in the western highlands. Allowed us to see a large part of the country. We have only stayed at one in England but it was large and excellent. In Germany we stayed in the southeast corner and the south central. In Austria, we stayed southeast and southwest of Salzburg. Both excellent. We stayed in two different ones in the Andalusia area of Spain. We did not have unusual difficulty in exchanging for any of these properties and in most of the exchanges used timeshares that aren't especially great properties. We even had success one time for Paris! The people at RCI are often more pessimistic than they need be. Just put in your search way ahead of time and be patient!