Reload this Page >

Raves: What I Like Best About Fodors Europe Forum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 04:16 AM
Eve

What are your favorite things about this forum? I like all the low-hanging fruit (easy to access information), and even the snakes sometimessss have ssssome ussseful advissssce...

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 05:56 AM
s.fowler

Thank you dear Eve for starting this thread -- wartch out for that Adam guy on the other one! <BR> <BR>I could make this long but it's two things really. <BR>1. The wealth of knowledge here and the generosity with which is is shared. <BR>2. Our ability to get silly, even on the subject of travel

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:10 AM
Heather

I love all of the trip reports, so I can stockpile places to visit for my "wish list". I haven't posted much, but appreciate the responses of those (Mr. Haines, Rex, et al) who have replied at great lengths to my few questions. Also, big thanks to posts by Ed which led me to a terrific travelogue on Slovenia, where I'm spending a week in May. <BR> <BR>Also, a thanks to those who sift way back into the archives to revive terrific posts for newcomers like me. Finally, I'm glad to find out that others have pondered the question on where to scatter their ashes in Europe ... I feel like less morbid now.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:17 AM
Jen

I am a recent addict to this site, and like Heather, I have been printing out and saving my favorite threads... keeps me motivated and working hard so someday I can keep going to all of these wonderful places! Recently, I've loved the "100 Best..." themes, and the cosmetics/beauty products thread was great, too. <BR> <BR>The post about cremation scared me at first but after I read through the replies I grew rather fond of it.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 07:16 AM
MeTo

My favorite thing is how it reminds me of the pompous cliques in high school and their abilities to brag about things they only wish they really could do.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 07:33 AM
liz

I love that this site provides a confirmed addict with a harmless pastime! I love to snort up my fodors on a pretty regular basis and the wealth of information and time spent giving it is astounding to me! You people are great! I especially enjoy the fun threads that offer nothing more than a smile! We all need to do that more.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 07:35 AM
Jen

Oh, grow up, MeTo (sic)!

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Rex

To me, the best thing about this forum is the endless supply of genuinely good questions. Sure, some of them are repetitive, but the subtle little new twists even keep many of those fresh. <BR> <BR>And a distant second is the wealth of interesting answers. <BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Ursula

Eve: I discovered this forum only days ago. I think it's terrific to share personal experiences. Besides that I can improve my English (some rude expressions, but also abreviations as AKA, IMO, AFAIK), as I am Swiss an speak German. But somethimes I think people should go through some older posts or fourms as the same questions (like i.e. recommendable hotels in Paris 5th, 6th or 7th)are being put over and over again.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Thyra

I love that it is an open forum. Even the nasties who post, they are true examples of the idea that freedom of speech is for all thoughts, ideas and remarks! What a priviledge to have an outlet for that. I love the other posters , though I don't always agree with everything they say and I love it when I can respond to a question, since it gives me mental justification for all the money I spend travelling .

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Sheila

Apart from the many people I've met here that I like a lot, I love the travel information. It's incredible that people know where to find a laundrette in Little-Bigglington-on-the-Swale, store that information and then can be bothered to share it. <BR> <BR>And (I hope this doesn't sound pretentious) I have learned a great deal about US attititudes-including not to generalise. And knowledge can only be good, can't it?

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Tirol

REX!!! He is the object of my affectation!

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Rex

Oh, God, please let this be Juliette Binoche. <BR> <BR>And if you can't grant me my first wish, then could you keep my wife from reading this post? <BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Dave White

I enjoy the wealth of experiences that are represented here. I also appreciate the willingness of so many travelers to share what they know. Sure, sometimes not everyone is as polite as one might wish, but, as a whole, the users of this board are a good group. <BR> <BR>So that's my electronic "pat on the back" <BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Howard

I love the double dose of giving and receiving! The assistance I've received in planning trips has probably been the number one reason that our trips have been memorable over the past couple years. And the giving? Well, it's just as rewarding to be able to give, as it helps me relive some wonderful experiences all over again.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 10:21 AM
carolyn

I love this forum. I appreciate the information I'm squirreling away for future use, I like the fun posts that may not be strictly travel related, and I enjoy the camaraderie of the group. For those of us who have to do more armchair than real traveling, it is top notch escapism. Also, I have bought a pair of navy blue Eccos for my next trip; but do you think my rural Kentucky accent will give me away anyway?

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Dr. Betty

My favorite thing about the forum is sometimes my most feared. Winnie the Pooh says it best, "Sometimes, when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out in the open and has other people looking at it." The total experience is one of great pleasure, fun, support, information, friendship combined with challenging feedback at times, or comments that make you think...Yikes, where did that come from? Sometimes the Yikes is about something you yourself posted and you look at it the next day, or a few hours later and think, what was that Thingish Thing? <BR>God Bless, <BR>Dr. Betty

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 01:21 PM
elvira

I love the silly threads: the clever twists and turns of the human mind always fascinate me! <BR>The wealth of information that has helped me plan my trips, plus tweak my interest in neverbeforethoughtof places. <BR>The generosity of everyone in offering whatever information they have. <BR>And, mostly, the wonderful people I've met and friends I've made.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 02:01 PM
John

Speaking from Seattle (shaken, not stirred) I'd echo others' comments - good advice, tolerance, a lot of funny and smart people, all that. <BR>Also I think it's a great window on the world. While the majority of the posters are in the US, this is actually a pretty international bunch, and I especially like it that we can learn and understand each others' points of view from across numerous oceans and time zones. Some of us may be global village idiots, but at least it's a village.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 02:01 PM
Monica

I love knowing there are other travel addicts like me who plan trips like I do (months in advance with lots of reading, research, etc). I have enjoyed meeting other fodorites in person. From this forum, I have found new friends! <BR> <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -