Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ravello or Postiano or Other as Home Base to Hike Amalfi Coast

Mar 16th, 2018, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Please recommend a beautiful, quiet home base from which to hike the Amalfi Coast. In addition to proximity to scenic coastal hiking, we value: 1) beautiful view from accomodations 2) quiet, no crowds or traffic, 3) good restaurant nearby.
Mar 16th, 2018, 07:25 AM

quiet - no crowd or traffic don't exist on the Amalfi Coast during tourist seasons but Ravello is more above the fray than seaside towns like Positano and there are rave rave views from Ravello, perched high above Amalfi the town. Great hikes abound.

Are you driving? Buses serve Ravello and ferries Amalfi below it. No car needed. Trains are great to get here from Rome or beyond - train to Salerno and take ferry to Amalfi - book trains early for discounted tickets- www.seat61.com has loads on doing that yourself - general info trains www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.

I did hikes up to Ravello from Amalfi thru a nice area of orchards and small farms and down from it thru vineyards to the sea on zigzagging paths.
Mar 16th, 2018, 04:56 PM
kja

My vote easily goes to Ravello. Breathtaking!
Mar 17th, 2018, 10:13 AM
ira

Hi J,

We very much liked our stay at http://www.lesirene.com/index_ing.htm in Praiano.

Last edited by ira; Mar 17th, 2018 at 10:16 AM.
Mar 17th, 2018, 10:21 AM

Ravello has a more elegant feel to it and , as stated above, the views are breathtaking.
Mar 17th, 2018, 11:05 AM

I stayed in Ravello. It is excellent for hiking/walking and views. I didn't think the restaurants were that great (I am picky) and the whole area is pretty touristy but if you get off the main square, it's not mobbed and it's certainly quiet. I was there late June/early July. It is one of the most beautiful places I've been. We stayed at the traditional, non-luxury Hotel Parsifal--sea view rooms are well worth it and the staff is very helpful and will talk to you at length about good walks, etc. But there are other, more stylish hotels, including the Belmond if you really want to splash out.

www.hotelparsifal.com
Mar 17th, 2018, 01:15 PM

We based in Positano for a week and visited Ravello as a day trip. We loved Ravello. They have some elegant hotels and the views are spectacular. However, as a base I would recommend Positano. Ravello is isolated. It is uphill from the Town of Amalfi. If you want to go the other towns along the coast, it is much easier to get to them from Positano. Yon can't go wrong either way. Two of my favorite places.
Mar 17th, 2018, 03:07 PM
kja

I stayed at the Parsifal, too! Wonderful staff in this family run hotel, once a convent. Not as upscale as most accommodations in Ravello, but that didn't matter to me -- the character and hospitality were outstanding, and I liked being just a bit away (really -- just a bit, maybe 5 or 10 minutes) from the heart of the town.