Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ravello and Praiano (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ravello-and-praiano-263888/)

Tim_and_Liz Jan 10th, 2008 12:12 PM

Ravello and Praiano

I need help!

We are going to Italy for a wedding in Ravello this May.

The bride has suggested we spend two nights in Ravello (wedding is at Villa Cimbrone, suggested hotel is Hotel Graal) and then transfer to the Hotel Margherita in Praiano for two nights, from where she hopes we can take a day trip to Capri.

Questions:

1. Tim would like to stay the entire time in Praiano so that we don't have to switch hotels. How difficult is it to get from Praiano to Ravello for a wedding at noon at the Villa Cimbrone? (It would be on a Thursday.) Approximate cost for a taxi? Ease of taking the bus? Would you stay 2 nights in each place or go with 4 nights in Praiano?

2. Ease of taking daytrip from Praiano to Capri? What about Pompeii?

3. Would you fly into Rome (2 legs) or into Naples (3 legs) before moving onto Praiano/Ravello? Naples is an additional $60. From what I understand, we take a train from FCO to Rome Termini and then a train down to Naples, then switch to a bus?

4. Any other suggestions?

Thank you so much!

cheryllj Jan 10th, 2008 12:24 PM

Praiano and Ravello are not that far apart. I don't understand the value of switching hotels for only 4 nights total. Pick one hotel and stay 4 nights.

If the wedding is in Ravello, why is it that you want to stay in Praiano specifically? Ravello is gorgeous, I'd stay there.

Praiano does not have a boat dock (afaik). To catch a ferry to Capri, you would have to take a bus to Positano (west) or Amalfi (east) to reach the ferry dock. The SITA buses run back and forth along that whole route, but they can be quite crowded at times.

Pompeii is quicker to get to from Praiano than Ravello. From Ravello, you have to take a bus down off the mountain to Amalfi below to get to wherever you are going. From Praiano, I guess you'd take the SITA bus to Sorrento and then train from there. (Not sure on that last part, but I'm sure someone would know.)

For an extra $60, I'd fly into Naples.

Steve_James Jan 11th, 2008 02:49 AM

Hi Tim&Liz - I can't see much benefit from switching hotels - I'd probably choose Praiano (- or Positano) for your entire stay.

Praiano-Ravello is easy and cheap by bus. You have to change bus in Amalfi:
Praiano-Amali - 20 mins
Amalfi-Ravello - 25 mins

Praiano-Ravello by taxi would probably cost about € 60.

CAPRI

For Capri from Praiano it's easiest to catch a bus to Positano - from where there morning ferry/hydrofoil services to Capri.

POMPEII

From Praiano take the SITA Sorrento bus to META (- 45 mins).

[Meta is the nearest railway station to Positano on the Circumvesuviana line - so is convenient for Pompeii. The bus stops at Meta station].

See map:
http://www.supermappe.com/campania/meta.html

From META it's another 25 mins on the train to Pompeii Scavi.

This is the quickest option on the outward journey.

N.B. On the return journey to Praiano, however, it's advisable to take the train from Pompeii back to SORRENTO (- rather than changing at Meta) - to guarantee yourself a seat on the Positano bus.

[Positano buses often leave Sorrento full - so for anyone boarding at Meta it's standing room only :( ]

Always get bus tickets in advance - and validate on boarding.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Cimbrone Jan 11th, 2008 03:12 AM

I have no advice except to say, enjoy this wedding which will be in one of the world's most gorgeous settings!

caroline_edinburgh Jan 11th, 2008 03:47 AM

I've been to that area several times but regretted staying in Ravello - I'd much rather stay down on the coast. If you base yourselves in Amalfi you can very easily get to Ravello (even a taxi won't cost much - c.€20 nowadays ?- and to Capri and to anywhere else on the Amalfi Coast. It's the best place for connections.

I'd say fly to Naples were it not for the fact it's an extra flight. Since it is, I'd just fly to Rome, get the train to Salerno then a bus.

Although I regretted staying in Ravello & wished I'd just visitedf it as a day trip, I can't imagine a more beautiful spot for a wedding than Villa Cimbrone - lucky you ! And lucky people getting married there !

gruezi Jan 11th, 2008 05:34 AM

We recently spent 5 days in Ravello. It's very beautiful but not the most convenient to other places. Yes the travel times above are probably right but you need to get from where you are to the bus, it may be late, etc. etc.

We visited Capri and Pompeii as day trips from Ravello and I felt like we spent a lot of time on buses or in cabs or waiting for cabs. Plus, the bus rides and cab rides are not really that relaxing as it's really windy, slow moving roads up and down the mountains. I don't know Praiano so I can't comment. Do you only have 4 days?

Villa Cimbrone is beautiful...bring your camera and enjoy!

Tim_and_Liz Jan 11th, 2008 06:10 AM

We were planning on spending only 4 nights in the area before moving up to Florence for a few nights. We've been to Rome and Florence before, but the other wedding guests have not.

It seems like it makes the most sense to stay in Amalfi, but in order to spend at least half our nights with the other wedding guests, I think we'll need to choose Ravello or Praiano.

I really appreciate all of the advice on this post... we're still leaning towards staying in Praiano. Is there somewhere online we can see bus schedules?

Any other opinions?
Thanks again!

PalenQ Jan 11th, 2008 06:13 AM

One of the sweetest walks i've ever taken in Italy was from the sea and Amalfi up to Ravello - a paved and stepped walking path thru lush orchards, vineyards, etc.

Down may be easier - just a few miles if that

Tim_and_Liz Jan 11th, 2008 06:15 AM

Oh and I wanted to thank Steve for his specific transport info, very helpful!

ira Jan 11th, 2008 06:53 AM

Hi LIz,

1. The SITA bus runs on at least an hourly schedule through Praiano between Sorrento and Salerno, via Amalfi. It's about 3E to Amalfi.

As noted, there is bus and taxi service from Amalfi to Ravello.

Given your constraints, I would stay in Amalfi.

2. For Capri, take the Orange Bus to Positano. It takes you down to the docks. I think that it is also on an hourly schedule.

For Pompei, take the SITA bus to Meta and the Circumvesuviana train from there to Pompei Scavi. On the return, take the C train to Sorrento and then the SITA bus to Praiano.

3. I would fly into Naples. There is bus service from NAP to Sorrento.
See http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

From Sorrento, take the SITA bus to Praiano.

4. To get to Florence, I suggets taking the Orange bus to Positano and then the ferry to Salerno.

From Salerno, take the train to Florence via Rome. Much nicer than taking the C train to Naples.
See www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

You might find my trip report helpful:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

Steve_James Jan 11th, 2008 07:16 AM

You can find current bus timetables at:

http://www.sitabus.it/sitabus/campan...7/QuadroXV.pdf

Timetables change in the summer.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Tim_and_Liz Jan 11th, 2008 07:22 AM

Thanks, Ira and Steve!
Liz

ira Jan 11th, 2008 08:02 AM

You are welcome, Liz

Dayle Jan 11th, 2008 08:25 AM

Tim & Liz,

Have a lovely trip! I love Praiano becaust it's NOT Positano, not a resort town. My kind of place. Be sure to have dinner at La Brace.

The SITA buses in summer are VERY crowded and unpredicatable. Just so you know. Take a taxi up to Ravello - worth the money vs. the sweaty pushing shoving to get on the small bus that goes up and down.

Buon viaggio!

Tim_and_Liz Jan 11th, 2008 08:30 AM

Thanks for your reply, Dayle.

I will definitely head to La Brace (which was also recommended in Ira's trip report)!

Does late May = "summer" on the Amalfi Coast?

Would you also estimate 60E for taxi fare from Praiano-Ravello? Could we cut costs by taking bus-Amalfi and taxi Amalfi-Ravello, or will crowding still be an issue?

Steve_James Jan 11th, 2008 08:57 AM

I don't think crowding on buses will be a big issue in May, Liz.

If you are thinking of using a taxi between Praiano and Ravello on more than a couple of occasions, why not rent a car for a few days instead?

Steve

Dayle Jan 11th, 2008 06:37 PM

Tim & Liz,

Steve is the expert! I agree though that May shouldn't be too crowded. My first trip was in March and the SITA buses were a pleasure. Not so on the second trip in mid-Sept.

Knowing I couldn't get on the Orange bus to Positano with even 1 small roller due to the crowds, I had my hotel (Le Sirene, as recommended by Ira and I loved it!) call me a taxi. Praiano to Positano was 20E. I think you would be completely fine on SITA to Amalfi and possibly the public bus to Ravello. Just see how big of a crowd is waiting when you get to the transfer point in Amalfi.

There is a wonderful ceramic shop in Ravello. Ceramiche di Arte. It's not on the main piazza, rather up the stairs and around the corner from the Palazzo Sasso (I think!). Amazing pieces, great artists. I bought a huge platter and had it shipped.

tuscanlifeedit Jan 11th, 2008 07:02 PM

Hi

I had written a long reply earlier and somehow it disappeared. I'll make it short: consider the ferries.

I found the SITA busses to be very unreliable, crowded and the ride made me sick, despite motion sickness meds. The boats were much better.

ira Jan 12th, 2008 02:13 AM

Ditto, SJ.

caroline_edinburgh Jan 14th, 2008 01:06 AM

"Does late May = "summer" on the Amalfi Coast?"

I've always gone there in June and most times it has been hot. Ravello was a bit chilly in the shade and at night, due to the altitude I assume, and one year even the coast didn't really get hot until the 15th June - so I've refused to go any earlier since then ! (One day that year it was colder than Edinburgh and it rained !!) But you are not going to lie on a beach, which is what I mainly do there.