Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ravello Accomodations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ravello-accomodations-661894/)

Go4Fun Dec 1st, 2006 02:21 PM

Ravello Accomodations

I'm looking for suggestions for a nice reasonably priced hotel in Ravello for 2 or 3 nights next September? I know Ravello is expensive and I'm willing to spend up to $350 or $400 a night. My web research indicates that the prices for the luxury properties (Caruso, Palazzo Sasso, Palumbo, and Villa Cimbrone)are much higher than my budget. Some of the other more moderately hotels (e.g. Hotel Bonadies, Hotel Rufolo)require that you take half board in season and I would prefer to be independent for meals. That's part of the reason why I want to be in Ravello. It seems like the best options for me are the Hotel Villa Maria and the Hotel Parsifal. How do I decide between the two? Any other suggestions?

Eloise Dec 1st, 2006 02:35 PM

I'd go for the Villa Maria. I only ate there - very good food, terrace restaurant with a splendid view (presumably shared by at least some of the rooms) - but it seems more nicely appointed than the Parsifal.

If the weather is still warm enough, I think you can swim at the pool of the Hotel Giordano, the Villa Maria's sister hotel.

BobandBunkie Dec 1st, 2006 02:35 PM

We stayed at the Villa Maria and would highly recommend it. The location was good, the restaurant delicious, and our room was spacious. I don't have access to our room rate but it was not outrageous.

bellastarr Dec 1st, 2006 03:00 PM

I stayed at Villa Maria before and highly recommend it. A great ;ocatôn too. It's pn the way to Villa cimbrone and if you go to a concert at Villa Rufolo, walking back through the silent pathways tinged with moonlight is romantic and magical.

The expansive terrace is a fabulous place to breakfast.

I don't remember that the price was expensive, but anyway, it was a few years ago.

You can indeed swim at the sister hotel.

Gerardo Jan 3rd, 2007 08:51 AM

The Tourist Info office in Ravello is at WWW.Ravello.it/aziendaturismo

oceankayaker7 Jan 4th, 2007 05:31 PM

If you really want to splurge, stay at the Palazzo Sasso. It the highest rated hotel in Italy. My wife and I were at the Sasso in Sept. Incredible service, food and view.
We have also stayed at the Caruso before. Its a total bust with the exception of the pool. Best of luck

MrAloha Jan 13th, 2007 11:34 AM

I've stayed at the Palumbo several times and will return there again. If you factor meals on the 1/2 board plan, might this then fall into your price range? The restaurant is quite good and the views spectacular; generally do let you order off the ala carte menu. The staff are terrific. And you get to use their villa by the sea which is gorgeous. Consider booking the third Sunday in September: you'll get to see the festival of the Madonna Dolorata. Book a table for the evening. The fireworks display will be directly in front of you.

We've eaten at the neighboring Palazzo Sasso and looked at their rooms/grounds. In comparison to the Palumbo it seems to be much shinier and a lot of beige. My two cents.

HOpe this is helpful.

Squeak May 24th, 2007 11:22 AM

If you stay in Ravello, how do you get around? I know there's a SITA bus but, I would assume that you'd spend a good chunk of time going to Amalfi, Positano, Sorrento, Pompeii, etc.? Is there any ferry service to Capri, Sorrento, etc? We will not have a car and I'm really excited so stay in Ravello at Palazzo Sasso but the one thing I'm dreading are daytrips. What's the easiest way. I would assume taxi rides get expensive after a while.

mikemo May 24th, 2007 11:31 AM

We stayed at Hot Parsifal in Ravello 14-18 May - outstanding value, great food and the staff and service were world class.
We had reservations about the half board, but the dinners were very good and they'll try to serve anything you might want that's not on the evening's menu.
We drove from Taormina, but used the 1 Euro bus to Amalfi and the ferries to Positano and Capri.
Sure thought Ravello way better than Amalfi and Positano.
Easy drive to Pompeii also.
Buen viaje.
M

mikemo May 24th, 2007 11:34 AM

OH, should mention that lunch with house wine at both Cumpa Cosimo and Vittoria were outstanding.
M

Squeak May 24th, 2007 12:08 PM

How is the driving and parking? I didn't think there was anywhere to park in any of the tiny towns along the Amalfi Coast so cars are typically discouraged. For once we were going to try this without a car but maybe we should consider otherwise?? Are there parking lots

Gerardo Sep 4th, 2007 10:09 AM

Driving up from Amalfi is relatively easy and parking is not a problem in Ravello with a large car park although you may have to carry your bags a distance up steps depending on where you are staying

packed Sep 4th, 2007 10:53 AM

My impression of the road to Ravello is a little different. Although my husband can navigate the road and, I think, secretly enjoys the challenge, it is narrow, very narrow in a couple of spots, and winding. (Twice, when our planes were very late, we have actually driven from Naples to Amalfi over the mountain through Ravello at midnight-his idea) While we have had a car in this area several times, parking is difficult. Once we went to Amalfi and spent about 20-30 minutes looking for parking, went back to our hotel and took the bus. The boats between the cities on the coast are a good way to see the view and easier than driving.

chicagolori Sep 5th, 2007 04:42 AM

We stayed at Hotel Villa Maria and loved it. We drove to Ravello through the mountains (not the coastal highway) following the directions given on the hotels website. It was twisty, turny, with lots of ascending and descending. Beautiful views though.

When we arrived in Ravello, we had no idea how to get to the hotel since the small town square is pedestrian only. We pulled over into a space and a local man came over and said we would not be able to leave the car in the space but offered to stay with us while one of us hiked up to the hotel.

Hubby stayed with the car and I walked up to the Hotel on the narrow, cobblestoned streets wondering how on earth they could have a parking lot without real roads to get you there.

When I got to the hotel, they offered to come get the car and drive us up. Much to my surprise, they did indeed drive the car up these tiny streets with barely enough clearance on either side and having to pull the mirrors into the car. Before you get to the hotel, there is an outdoor covered parking lot where they parked the car.

We left the car there for 4 days and took the local bus down to Amalfi when we wanted to go for day trips. One morning, we got on the bus with all the local school children who were on there way to some school in Amalfi. It was great and its easy to do.

Once in Amalfi, there are other busses or ferrys to take. We took a bus to Positano on the Amalfi Coast - harrowing but fun. We also returned by a boat. Likewise, we took a day trip to Capri from Amalfi as well.

All in all, we loved staying in Ravello - very quiet at night, very tomantic, unbelievable scenery.

There are also taxis from Amalfi up the hill to Ravello - we did that one time as well.

kja Sep 5th, 2007 11:49 AM

Hi, Go4Fun -
I had a lovely experience with the Hotel Parsifal. And for what its worth, I like the views from the Hotel Parsifal better than the views from the Hotel Villa Maria - although views from both are wonderful. Hope that helps!