Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rauma Train and the Atlantic Ocean Rd worth visiting?

Jan 23rd, 2015, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are keen on trying the Rauma train and experiencing the spectacular engineering of the Atlantic Ocean Road. It appears that they are close enough to be squeezed into the 2nd day of our 7-day northbound Bergen-Kirkenese Hurtigruten cruise in late July, which makes stop at Alesund (8:45 am) and restarts at Molde (10:15 pm). However, I could not find a tour or good enough connections to allow us to do so on my internet search.

Would appreciate opinions on whether the 2 places are worth visiting. If they are, should we forgo the 2 onward stops to Geiranger & Hjorundfjord on the Hurtigruten; or are we better off making a separate tour after the cruise? Would be thankful for any info on how best to make the visit under either of the options, without the need of renting a car.
Jan 23rd, 2015, 03:19 AM

Personally I would do them afterwards if you feel you must do them. You could miss the boat, and it won't wait for you if you go it alone.
If you decide to do it then be sure to tell them that you won't be rejoining in Alesund or there will be a major panic onboard.
On the southbound trip they offer an Atlantic road excursion.
Jan 23rd, 2015, 04:15 AM

That would mean you missing the trip into Geirangerfjord - neither of them, or both together er worth missing that.
Your best bet would be to do them before or after and preferably by hiring a car. I would guess the cheapest deal for flights and rentals would be in Trondheim - drive Kristiansand then Atlantic Highway via Kårvåg to Molde then Åndalsnes - the road runs alongside the railway - to Dombås and you could include a tour to Røros and then return to Trondheim. - about 800km driving so best done over 3 to 4 days.
Difficult by public transport as the main road used by buses is not the Atlantic Highway, though there is a local bus Kristiansand-Kårvåg which you could take return. It would be easy to take buses Trondheim - Kristiansand - Åndalsnes and then Rauma railway either return to Åndalsnes via Dombås or further to Trondheim or Oslo. You should be able to figure out buses on the route planner here: http://nri.websrv01.reiseinfo.no/nri...spx?Language=e
Jan 24th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you hetismij2 and dyoll for the info. The risk of missing the boat is obviously a major concern. I will look in details the bus routes to figure out how this side trip could be made possible.
Jan 27th, 2015, 02:41 AM

Just make sure you understand that you would miss Geirangerfjord - the highlight of the northbound trip!