Ram's Brewery (Young's) - London

Old May 5th, 2001, 05:27 AM
Diane G.

Ram's Brewery (Young's) - London

While I'm in London, I'd like to visit the Ram Brewery in Wandsworth - their Double Chocolate stout is a favorite of mine (available in Canada too!). I found their website and got the details of their brewery tour, now this is where I need your help: I'll be staying in Bloomsbury (nearest tube Goodge) - what's the best way to get there?? I will have a Zone 1-2 Travelcard...

Have any of you experienced this tour?
Thanks!

Old May 5th, 2001, 07:42 AM
MarkJ

We took the brewery tour back in January, it was quite interesting and enjoyable.

I believe we took the tube to E. Putney(sp) and took a bus from opposite the tube station and asked the bus driver to let us off near the brewery. If I remember correctly we then walked up to an intersection and turned left and the entrance was down a bit and on the right. You enter through a pub. WE had a nice lunch there before our tour. Call and make reservations before you go.

Sorry I can't give more detailed directions, but I'm pretty sure thie will get you close.

Have a good trip and drink one for me.

Old May 5th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Ben Haines

Dear Ms Gauvin,

I haven't taken the tour, but warmly agree that Young's brew the best beer in London. They're down in Wandsworth, a south western inner suburb, so I think you might for speed take the Northern Line to Waterloo, buy there a day return from the edge of zone two to Wandsworth Town, take the next train to Wandsworth Town, and walk 300 yards to the brewery.

Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London.

Ben Haines

Old May 6th, 2001, 05:19 AM
Diane G.

Thanks to you both!
I'm looking forward to my visit... leaving the 17th & counting the days!

Old May 6th, 2001, 09:51 AM
Ed Coyle

Good to know ppl still know and appreiate good and authentic english beer. Youngs are a great product and their pubs all in and around SW London are lovely. To the unexperieced palate I find those beers strong, but nice! If anyone visits the Alma in Wandsworth, ask for Dessie M, he 's townie of mine running that pub when I heard of him last.

Old May 7th, 2001, 03:40 PM
Diane G.

On the topic of beers with a distinct taste

Can you please recommend other "good English" beers that I should seek out and try while in London? I prefer dark beers with a strong taste - smooth, not bitter.

Thanks! (it's nice to see that I seem to be in very good company in this thread)

Old May 7th, 2001, 08:18 PM
Ben Haines

Sorry for an error. Wandsworth Town is in zone two.

Sorry I can't help on other beers: I drink blonde beers myself.

Ben Haines

Old May 7th, 2001, 10:29 PM
Deborah

I too am looking for a good english brew while in london. I am taking several students there in June and am also looking for a cultural nightlife experience for them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old May 8th, 2001, 07:29 PM
Ben Haines

Author:

For Deborah,

There may be something good near you: where will you be staying ? Meanwhile, Youngs is on draught at the Lamb on Conduit Street, near Bloomsbury, and the Founders Arms just downstream of the southern end of Blackfriars Bridge, with a fine view of St Paul's and the City. Shephard Neame, the good beer of Faversham in Kent, is at the Bishop's Finger on Smithfield. There is a changing range of interesting county beers at the Market Porter in Borough Market, over the High Street from London Bridge station.

What do you see as a cultural nightlife experience ? The most typically London might be a club in Brixton, though you'll need to phone first to book. Old style London might be a music hall evening. If you're here while the Proms are on at the Royal Albert Hall the young people might like the atmosphere there: casual, even loud, behaviour between pieces, pindrop silence during the music, rapturous applause. On a warm evening there's much pleasure in Shakspeare at the Regent's Park Open Air Theatre. Detail is in Time Out magazine, which your party and you can buy in a news kiosk at your arrival airport to read on the boring train ride to the West End.

Please write to give background, and if I can help further. Welcome to London.

Ben Haines