Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to get married in Italy? (Almafi or Tuscany?)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 01:58 PM
KAO

My fiance and I are planning to get married in Italy either Spring or Fall 2003. We both have never been to Italy. We think we have narrowed it down to either the Almafi Coast or Tuscany. I am leaning towards Positano (Almafi coast) in April/May 2003. Any suggestions on places or a month? We want a place away from crowds to spend time with our families-(atleast until the honeymoon!). Thanks for your help!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 02:27 PM
russ

One word....Capri, we stayed at the Hotel Quisiana in the middle of town...food,shopping, sights unbelieveable. Good luck. p.s. day trip to Positano, and sorrentto!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:11 PM
bill wrench

Amalfi coast....It is the most beautiful place I've been in Europe. And do it in the Fall. The weather is perfect.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 04:17 AM
Alice Twain

In Tuscany you might have your wedding in Pistoia. The city is lovely, medieval, with a beautyful city hall and a medieval center, but it is off the main tourist routes and therefore it is quiet and uncrowded. You might find places to sleep in one of the several agritourisms on the surrounding wooded hills. If you are catholic, a gorgeous place to ge married is also the tiny church of Uzzo, a really tiny village in the hills. The church has been partially restoroed in recent years (although some parts still need to be cleaned up) and it is lovely. It can hos some 40 people, no more, but it is in the middle of chetsnuts woods. My niece has ben baptized a few days ago, and while ny catolic relatives were celebrating it, I took a walk nearby and met several birds, one squirrell that was running on the street and eaten several blackberries right from the plant. Also, nearby there are several villas that host marriage banquets (which is the main part of every italian marriage: the banquet is far more importnat than the celebration even for catholis!!!). the area is lovely and quiet, as I have said before, and after the marriage you can spend your honeymoon travelling across Tuscany.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:33 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

KAO, The answer is early May in Ravello.<BR>Check out the Villa Maria. Someone on this site got married there and loved it. I have stayed there and find Ravello to be more serene and romantic than Positano. BTW, are you a Theta?

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Monique

I vote for the Amalfi Coast in the fall! I honeymooned in Italy August/September 2001. September is great because it's starting to cool down (i.e. not 95 F every day!) and the water was still warm!

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 07:53 AM
alison

Another vote for Ravello. I just spent my 10th wedding anniversary there at the beginning of June. I was completely blown away by the place, particularly Villa Cimbrone. It was absolutely stunning with spectacular views and amazing gardens. Check out their website. I would also recommend a stay at Palazzo Sasso for luxurious surroundings,fantastic service and delicious food served in their restaurant overlooking the coast.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 05:29 PM
jh

Hi KAO, I'm getting married in Ravello at the Villa Cimbrone this October. I have never been to Italy either, but this message board had a lot to do with me choosing the Villa Cimbrone. In fact, as Bob mentions, I got in contact with another poster (Carey) who was married at the Villa Maria. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me. We have 43 guests attending our wedding so I have quite a bit of research.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Mary

I vote for Venice. The most magical and romantic city on this planet.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 12:15 PM
CR

JH I just got back from Italy and went to Ravello for the day. Villa Cimbrone is the most beautiful place! What a memorable place to be married. The view is breathtaking! Best wishes.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Sherri

KAO- my vote is for Positano or Capri. You can log onto www.italyby.com and they have a section for the Amalfi Coast Naples and Capri; also there's a wedding section- hotels that will cater to you in your wedding party. <BR>I have been doing research for my own wedding.Looks like Sept.03 in Capri.<BR>Good luck and la dolce Italy<BR>Sherri<BR>to the top for KAO

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 03:41 PM
gpratt

Ditto to Mary. Venice is by far the most romantic place in the world. We have visited the Amalfi Coast and quite a few cities in Tuscany but still consider Venice to be the place we wish we had honeymooned. Congradulations!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 04:12 PM
julie

Without a doubt, the most romantic island in the world is Capri! You should get married on the grounds of the Luna Hotel overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. It is breathtaking.... I truly think that it is heaven on earth. The entire island is so magical. At night, only the people who live permanently on Capri and the people who are vacationing in hotels are allowed on the island because the last ferry goes back to Naples and Positano around 8pm. Then, the island is so lovely and surreal. It is not full of tourists and tour buses and cheap tourist stores. The only transportation are convertible wagons and scooters. It is truly a classy and unforgettable place. Your wedding would be the focus of your family because the island allows for it. The only distractions would include the most amazing food and the sweetest Italians in the world. Go for it... You only live once!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 05:27 PM
MissPractical

I trust you have already been through the Italian bureacuracy and filled out all the papers and supplied all the information you must supply to do this, and that you're not just supposing that you can fly to Italy and get married wherever suits your fancy and expect it will be considered a legitimate marriage?<BR><BR>Just wondering.....

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Jennifer

My fiance and I are planning our April 2003 for Italy as well. We were looking at the Tuscany region but have decided the weather and scenery may be better in the Amalfi Coast area. Does anyone have any hotel/resort suggestions?

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 01:09 AM
Alice Twain

Miss Practical:<BR><BR>As a matter of facts in italy you can't be married unless you have done all the paperwork, not aven in a church since marriages in a church (or at least in a catholic church) are legally valid too.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 01:19 PM
jh

CR, thank you for the well wishes. I am definitely excited to get over there.<BR><BR>PAPERWORK<BR><BR>As far as paperwork, so far I don't think it has been that bad. I work in Washington, D.C. so having the embassy nearby has definitely helped. I am not Catholic though, so I don't have to do quite as much paperwork. I also am working with a wedding coordinator in Italy. My coordinator (Laura) has been fantastic so far.<BR><BR>CAPRI<BR><BR>According to this article I found (see below) on the BBC web site "tourist weddings" are banned in Capri. BUT I just looked on my coordinator's web site (www.weddingitaly.com) and apparently they are the only ones who can arrange marriages in Capri (see link below). Interestingly, the priest who is marrying us is interviewed for the BBC article.<BR><BR>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1218394.stm<BR><BR>http://www.weddingitaly.com/Location...pri/capri.html

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Alice Twain

Paperwork is no different for people who are getting married in a church or in a city hall. Both kinds of marriages are subject to the same rules and have the same efects, here in italy. If you are getting married in a Church all you have to do is give evidence that you are a baptized catolic or that at least one of the two is a baptized catholic and the other belongs to some other church.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 10:36 AM
lbb

I would have to say in Tuscany. Why would I say that. My husband and I were married this March in Florence. For us it was perfect. We are both artist and being surrounded by some of the most beautiful art work in the world made it perfect for us. We were married in the Palazzo Vechio one of the palace of the Medici. I couldn't imagine our wedding day being any different. It was perfect. Our wedding coordinator, Ben handled all of the paperwork for us. We went through www.italyweddings.com. Check out his info on villa's. Some of the weddings that he has done recently are in much less crowded areas than Florence.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 01:14 PM
KAO

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. We still have not made a final decision but are leaning towards Almafi - possible Positano, Capri or Ravello. Has anyone used the wedding coordinator, Sogni Italiani? We need some "real life" references before we move further. Thanks so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -