Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rain in Luzern _ PLEASE suggest options (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rain-in-luzern-_-please-suggest-options-732750/)

to_switzerland Aug 29th, 2007 11:37 AM

Rain in Luzern _ PLEASE suggest options

Hi Everyone,

Other than visiting museums, what are good rain_weather options in Luzern?
1. Are the boat rides still do_able and enjoyable in the rain?
2. We have already seen most of Bern. Are there any alternatives to visiting Luzern which might have other things to do on a rainy day? (Thun castle maybe..)

Thanks!!!!

kleeblatt Aug 29th, 2007 11:56 AM

Are you the one who's coming next week? We've got some rain til Saturday and then it's sunny days ahead!

But just in case,
Luzern:
The Verkehrsmuseum (traffic museum)
The museum next to the lion's monument
A day in Tessin (they usually have better weather)
Go to the Cucaracha restaurant for a great margarita.
Picasso's museum
Go to Tourism office and ask about what's on. Sometimes there are exhibitions, markets or festivals that are very interesting.

Boat rides are OK if it's not raining too hard. If the clouds are low and you can't see the mountains, don't go.

Christina Aug 29th, 2007 11:58 AM

what do you do anywhere when it rains -- something inside. That is usually shopping or museums or movies, if on holiday. I was in Lucerne when it was raining -- dull, isn't it? I went to the movies, but that isn't even that great in Lucerne as they don't have a lot of cinemas and they aren't that nice.

Boat rides in the rain certainly do not appeal to me, but will let others say if they like that.

Christina Aug 29th, 2007 11:59 AM

oh, this isn't exactly a museum, but you could go to that panorama painting thing, that is inside and can kill a half hour or so.

bettyk Aug 29th, 2007 12:01 PM

As long as it's not raining too hard, you can still wander the streets in the old town, popping into all the neat shops. Or you can walk along the old wall which is pretty much under cover.

mvor Aug 29th, 2007 12:12 PM

Have you been to the Klee museum in Bern? It's one of the best I've visited. I appreciated how well it was integrated into its environment, the museum's use of technolgy, and, of course, the works themselves.

http://www.paulkleezentrum.ch/ww/de/pub/web_root.cfm

I really enjoyed the Picasso Museum in Luzern--the collection is small but well presented and the building is interesting as well.

freeman0819 Aug 29th, 2007 01:08 PM

Schuler, Cucaracha (terrible name, it means COCKROACH in English) is closed. The closing that nothing to do with roaches, don't be alarmed... They remodeled and reopened. The new restaurant is named Pacifico. Still Mexican, but I haven't tried it yet. To_Switzerland, the food and margaritas are delicious there. Worth the $$

What about some shopping?

to_switzerland Aug 29th, 2007 01:21 PM

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! Just one other question - how is the Thun castle or the Ballenberg museum on a rainy day (when it mostly pours)...

kleeblatt Aug 29th, 2007 01:22 PM

Hi Freeman,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear the margaritas are still great. The barmen in the old restaurant were fun to watch and good looking too... kind of like Tom Cruise in his bartender movie. Hope that hasn't changed much.

nytraveler Aug 29th, 2007 04:40 PM

Unless it's a downpour you can do almost everything except hiking. (We took the train up Pilatus in brigh sunshine, toured around and ordered lunch at the outdoor cafe. By the time they delivered it the rain clouds had rolled in - and we all had to rush inside.

The weather is VERY changeable - and don;t assume a shower in the am means a whole day downpour.

If you're truly desperate Zurich - and several good museums - is only about an hour away.

ronkala Aug 29th, 2007 05:41 PM

If it is raining when you get up in the morning, check the weather on channel 1 to find out where it s not raining. If not too far, hop on a train and go.

georgiegirl Aug 29th, 2007 07:49 PM

Bookmarking for next month trip, in case I run into a lot of rain, too.
Thank you.