Railtravel vs Auto

Jul 11th, 2001, 10:24 PM
Lavada

Railtravel vs Auto

Four of us are planning a trip together for
May 2001. We want to try to see some of Paris, Switzerland (especially ride the Glacier Express),Salzberg and Germany (around Munich and the Black Forest, if possible). I know this sounds like a lot for 16 days. What would be your best advice for traveling? Should we rent a car or buy a Eurailpass?

Jul 11th, 2001, 10:47 PM
Lavada

Sorry, I intended to say May 2002. Also, what about a combination of train and car?

Jul 12th, 2001, 03:20 AM
mj

Pretty ambitious journey...
Putting Paris in the plan adds ~350 miles (one way) from Freiburg (Black Forest area). If your Europe gateway is Munich, that's a lot of driving or train changes. IMHO, I'd leave Paris out of the plan as the time (to get to and "do" Paris properly) would put too much pressure on the whole trip, turning it into a frantic rush to get somewhere.

Our last "road trip", w/Munich as the start/end point, covered an area similar (in size) to your plan (without Paris). We put 3000+km (1800 miles) on the rental car in 14 days. If you and your travel companions think that's the amount of driving you want to do, then go for it. Caveat - it's been our experience that after 9-10 days of car travel, we start to get a tad worn out - meaning we don't/can't travel the same distances (safely) as we did at the start of the trip.

Only logistic problem might be where to leave the rental car while riding the Glacier Express unless you do a 1 day (abbreviated) round trip - Andermatt might be a good station to start.
hth,
mj

Jul 12th, 2001, 04:27 AM
Rex

Ambitious? Yes.

but unrealistic? - - I don't think so.

Starting in Munich (first two days without a car, just seeing Munich itself), I would suggest driving to Salzburg for a one- or two-night stay (by the way see some of my previous pet peeve messages about confusing "berg" and burg"), then meander through western Austria and Switzerland for 3-5 days, returning to Germany in the southwest corner (where Basel, Alsace-Lorraine and the Black Forest come together for 2-3 days). Leave the car at Strasbourg/Kehl and take the train (about 4 hours) to Paris for a final 2-3 days and fly home from there. Perfectly do-able.

I didn't specifically address the Glacier Express, as I have no familiarity with that or any other Swiss rail travel personally.

This trip gains nothing from a Eurailpass, in my opinion.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jul 12th, 2001, 04:37 AM
Liz

For 4 people, renting a car usually is more cost effective. ricksteves.com has information that helped me decide.

Jul 13th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Lavada

Thank you all very much for your information.