Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Railstation auto depots - HELP (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/railstation-auto-depots-help-713059/)

Julie49 Jun 14th, 2007 02:08 AM

Railstation auto depots - HELP

Does anyone know how to learn if railstations will be closed or on limited hours in France this summer? Why,you ask?

I learned recently from Nova car hire and Europcar that the Figeac auto depot was to be closed from 11 - 21 August. Thus renting car at the rail station is not possible. No problem, I can adjust and get the rental from a different site in Figeac. My bigger concern --is the entire railstation going to be closed or on "limited" hours because of construction and I need to select a different railstation. Or am I overreacting. I have other railstation options I just don't want to be scrambling at the last minute in August looking for the best auto-drop off and railstation selection as I return to Paris from the Lot/Dordogne.

Thanks, Julie

ira Jun 14th, 2007 02:27 AM

Hi J,

>...looking for the best auto-drop off and railstation selection as I return to Paris from the Lot/Dordogne. <

I wouldn't have thought that Figeac would be one of them.

What's your itinerary?

((I))

Julie49 Jun 14th, 2007 03:24 AM

Ira,

Our itinerary is Walk GR 65- Le-Puy to Conques, get rental car in Figeac to stay at a chambre d'hote for 6 days in Lot River valley, return car and head to Paris. Do you have a better idea :)....We are locked into the dates for the walk and need to p/u the auto on Saturday 11 August b/c auto rentals in the region appear to be closed on Sundays. We plan to meet family for dinner in Paris on the evening of 17 August.

I look forward to your suggestions Ira and other fodorites.

Julie

Dukey Jun 14th, 2007 03:33 AM

Does that rail station have an Avis outlet? Many of the SNCF stations do.

ira Jun 14th, 2007 03:42 AM

Hi J,

If you are staying along the Lot, wouldn't Cahors be the best place to drop the car and train to Paris?

Toulouse if you want to fly.

How are you getting from Conques to Figeac?

((I))

Julie49 Jun 15th, 2007 01:54 AM

Dukey, Avis has both a "city" and railstation depot in Figec. I know I can get a car through them, just not as inexpensively. But more importantly is the concern, if the railstation auto rental depot is shut down does the railstation itself have FULL services and all trains during the same period? Or are passengers being rerouted?

Ira, b/c of the train schedules Figeac had the better time/connection for us than Cahors. Both seemed equally long, and arriving at Gare d'Austerlitz was more convenient to our Paris apartment. I certainly had considered (and am not opposed to changing this routing)the idea of going a bit further north and catching a train from there. I have already purchased the railpasses based on paying for this segment as 1 day use, so no flying out of Toulouse for us.

Granted, a 6 hour train ride w/frequent stops is NOT a highlight for us, but we plan on taking our "picnic" and enjoying the day. If a 1-2 hour drive would get us to a TGV station, I'd certainly consider doing that. We are staying near the village Limonge-en-Quercy, southern side of Lot, approximately 3km from the river. Again, we need to be in Paris about 1800 for dinner with family.

Ideas? thoughts?

Dukey Jun 15th, 2007 03:06 AM

Limonge-en-Quercy..is that spelling correct? I was trying to find it on a map and got nowhere.

Julie49 Jun 15th, 2007 03:22 AM

Dukey, you are correct I misspelled the village it should be - Limogne-en-Quercy. From the map it looks like D19 and D119 intersect there or close by.

Dukey Jun 15th, 2007 04:30 AM

The reason I asked is because I foolishly thought you might be able to pick up and drop off the car in a place like Agen (a region I know fairly well) which has direct TGV connections to Paris through Bordeaux and also connections to Paris Austerlitz through Limoges...but I honestly don't want to muck around in your plans because I know what that is like.

No need to respond or explain further. I trust everything will work out satisfactorily for you. We'll be in the same general region in a couple of weeks and know you must be excited about your trip.

Julie49 Jun 15th, 2007 08:29 AM

Dukey, thanks for the thought...I too was trying to find an alternative faster train, but I think the reality is either drive to a larger city then catch a train to Paris, travel time all total 6 hours give a take a few minutes. Or catch the train in Figeac, travel time ....about 6 hours.

I am getting very excited about our trip. This will be my fourth trip to Paris and the first to this region of France. Of course, its been 24 years since I was in France....so I'm practicing my very rusty school-girl French daily and making myself a restaruant cheat sheet...NO tripe or organ meats for this girl....

Julie

PalenQ Jun 15th, 2007 08:35 AM

<My bigger concern --is the entire railstation going to be closed or on "limited" hours because of construction and I need to select a different railstation.>

what gives you reason to think this? Those two car rentals are probably not in the rail station as as Dukey says AVIS has the concession for car rentals in French stations i believe.

I've never ever heard of a rail station closing down in France for reconstruction, etc. It will be open i'd bet on that.

why the Figeac auto depot would be closed for ten days during their presumably busiest period is also mind boggling.

ira Jun 15th, 2007 08:41 AM

Hi J,

I think that you have it all worked out.

The worst that can happen is that you will leave from Cahors.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))