rail travel in the uk

Mar 26th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

rail travel in the uk

hi
we are very confused!!!
we are 6 families (2 adults + 2 kids each). we are travelling from london to penrith(centerparc) from there we travel around scotland by coach and then return to london from edinburgh .
my concern is the train/tickets/passes for our travel london- penrith & edinburgh - london
what kind of tickets or passes should we get ?what would be the most economical way of travel ?
thx
Mar 26th, 2011, 06:16 AM

Train travel in the UK can be very confusing because of the different companies operating the routes.

For enquiries use www.nationalrail.co.uk

Unfortunately they don't sell tickets but will give you timetables and fares, and will give you a direct link to buy from an individual train company. For the London-Penrith trip it will be virgin, for the Edinburgh-London it will be East Coast Trains (unless you use the overnight sleeper).

Use the enquiry page to input your travel dates and see what fares and time options it gives you.
Mar 26th, 2011, 06:28 AM

If I understand the OP correctly, he's traveling in a group of 24. Don't the UK train companies have special arrangements for large group travel? Group rates?

When is this trip planned? In general, you can save a lot on British trains if you book early.
Mar 26th, 2011, 06:37 AM

Train companies do indeed do special group travel deals, but it will involve giving the dedicated group travel teams for the train companies concerned. For the London-Penright route, call Virgin:
http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/ticket.../group-travel/

And for Edinburgh-London:
www.eastcoast.co.uk/special-offers/group-travel/
Mar 26th, 2011, 06:44 AM

I was going to suggest buying family and friends railcards
http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/

I see that Virgin recommend them if you are travelling with children.
It is always cheaper if you book in advance and even cheaper if you book on a particular train.