Rail travel from Sorrento to Muro Lucano

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rail travel from Sorrento to Muro Lucano

I am confused. Planning my trip. From Sorrento I want to get to Muro Lucano. I know the train station for Muro Lucano is in Bella Muro. Can I get another train, bus or cab to Muro Lucano from Bella Muro? Do you know what fares are like say from Sorrento to Bella Muro? I will stay there for 4 days. From there I will be going to Amalfi coast for 7 days. When I get back to Sorrento how do I get to Amalfi? Thank anyone for help!!
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you will have to take the bus, not the train. When I entered the info on Trenitalia, it shows a bus. I'm not sure you can catch it in Sorrento or if you will need to go somewhere like Salerno. Trenitalia shows the bus fare from Salerno to Bella Muro as 4€. If you are going to Amalfi on the return, you don't want to bother with going through Sorrento. Look at the coast and Bella Muro on a map. You will won't to return to Salerno and catch either a Sita bus or ferry from there to Amalfi.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can't go directly from Sorrento to Bella Muro. You'll need to take the Circumvesuviana commuter train from Sorrento to Napoli Centrale and then a regional or Eurostar train to Bella Muro. The regional train fare is only 7 euros. The Eurostar train fare would be 20,90 euros in 1st class and 14,30 euros in 2nd class. The Circumvesuviana takes 60-70 minutes, and the journey to Bella Muro takes between 1:40 and 2:37 depending on the train.

To then go to Amalfi, take a regional train from Bella Muro to Salerno and then bus or ferry to Amalfi. The train fare is 4 euros. Bella Muro to Salerno takes 1-1.5 hours.

Check the train timetables here:

http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 06:46 PM

Jean - Where are you seeing an ES train to Bella Muro? AFAIK, ES trains don't run anywhere near and don't stop at small places. Trenitalia shows bus transport Napoli/Bella M or IC/bus and R/bus combos with the train part only getting you from Napoli to Salerno where you must change to the bus.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 07:04 PM

Napoli Centrale to Bella Muro
Eurostar Train #9363
Departs Naples 17:42 hours
Arrives Bella Muro 19:23 hours

Interim stops at Salerno, Battipaglia, Eboli.

http://tinyurl.com/llostz
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 08:38 PM

kybourbon, you got me to thinking.

Curiously, when I search Eurostar 9363 at www.viaggiatreno.it/viaggiatreno, it shows it originating (not surprisingly) at Roma Termini at 6:45 am, presumably stopping at Napoli Centrale, arriving Battipaglia 9:35 am, and connecting to a bus to Bella Muro (departing Battipaglia at 9:45 am, arriving Bella Muro 10:55 am). These times are completely different from the results I got on the ferroviedellostato home page (linked in my last post), not to mention the bus to Bella Muro.

The next result on Viaggiatreno is Eurostar 9377 originating at Roma Termini at 8:00 am, arriving Napoli Centrale 9:18 am, and connecting to a bus to Bella Muro (departing Napoli Centrale 9:30 am, arriving Bella Muro 11:48 am). This may be what you found.

The result BEFORE Eurostar 9363 is another Eurostar (#9433) from Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale and then a bus to Bella Muro (departing Napoli Centrale at 7:25 am, arriving Bella Muro 9:34 am). Other results at less desirable times also involve a bus as the last step in Bella Muro.

I have no idea why the results at two search points on the same website are different, why one mentions buses and the other one doesn't, but Viaggiatreno would seem to confirm your thought that Eurostar trains don't go to or near Bella Muro.

So, Janice24, unless you want to make a phone call to Trenitalia, I think you'll want to consider your options after you get to Italy and go to a train station or a local travel agency. I don't know what to tell you about Eurostar 9363. It leaves either in the morning or the afternoon, and it goes either all the way to Bella Muro or it doesn't.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 09:23 PM

Jean - ES (Eurostar) trains only run the main routes between major cities and make very few stops (often none) which is why they are the "fast" trains. If there were an ES train through Bella Muro, it wouldn't be likely that it would stop there.

I'm not sure why you are even using viaggiatreno (more of a train tracking function instead of schedules) to search instead of just Trenitalia or why from Rome when the OP will be in Sorrento, not Rome. If you enter Naples/Bella Muro or Salerno/Bella Muro on Trenitalia, you will see lots of options, but all include bus.
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...00080a3e90aRCR

If you enter Rome/Bella Muro, your options pop-up as ES/bus with either the ES/AV portion to Naples then bus or to Salerno then bus. Even if you search Salerno/Metaponto (see your train lines on viaggatreno), there is only bus from Salerno

I would think the easiest options would be Sita bus to Salerno and bus to Bella Muro or ferry from Sorrento to Salerno and bus to Bella Muro.

The other possiblity is this town is served by a local line that is not part of Trenitalia (like the Circumvesuviana between Naples/Rome)and doesn't show on Trenitalia searches. Maps clearly show a station for Bella Muro and train tracks. If there's a local line, it would appear to originate in Salerno. A travel agency in Sorrento would know about it (there are two on the main street).
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 10:23 AM

kybourbon, the link in your last post wouldn't open, but I believe you. I only did the Viaggiatreno tracking because, as you pointed out, the result on Ferroviedellostato/Trenitalia didn't make sense. I wasn't getting the same train-bus routing that you did, as you can see in the link I posted 8/4/09 11:04 pm. The Eurostars listed in the Viaggiatreno search results all originated in Rome not Naples, which is never pointed out by Trenitalia. In this case, I'm believing the Viaggiatreno info and not my Trenitalia search results which I have to say is a little maddening for someone who loves to use the trains while in Italy.

FYI for those interested, Viaggiatreno can be helpful in finding out a specific train's entire route. (Like knowing the flight you're boarding in Indianapolis coming from Pittsburgh actually originated at Logan with a stop at LaGuardia.) You can also track a train's progress en route, so if you're sitting in Naples wondering when/if your delayed train is going to arrive you can find out how far away it is. Like Flighttracker giving you an update on that plane going to Cleveland.

A minor correction so that no one gets confused, the Circumvesuviana travels only between Naples and Sorrento.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Trenitalia does list Bella Muro as one of its stations (in Basilicata).
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 07:16 PM

>>>A minor correction so that no one gets confused, the Circumvesuviana travels only between Naples and Sorrento.<<<

Not so. The Circumvesuviana has more lines than just Naples/Sorrento. Many Fodorites have hopped on the wrong train before when trying to go to Sorrento. You can take a different Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii's other stations (not Pompeii Scavi).
http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en/Orari
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 07:28 PM

I was just correcting your comment 8/5/09 1:23 am last paragraph, "...(like the Circumvesuviana between Naples/Rome)...". No biggie unless someone stumbles on this now arcane train discussion.

I'm one of those Fodorites who've hopped on the wrong train!!
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 08:19 PM

I see. There are quite a few train lines in Italy similar to Circumvesuviana that are not part of the Trenitalia network.

I think we've made it clear as mud now. lol
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 09:40 AM

And it seems to be just you and me, kid.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 01:51 PM

I was hoping GAC would chime in. He knows all the ins and outs when it comes to public transportation in Italy.