Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rail Snooze: TGV to Attempt New World Speed Record

Mar 5th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Sometime between now and April the SNCF plans to attempt to set a new world speed record - with a hoped speed of up to 540 mph (335 mph about) on a portion of the recently completed LGV Est line around the new Champagne TGV station near Reims. This section of line is particularly straight and has no major gradients.
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:07 AM

The present record is already of 553 km/h (since the 14 february - on the TGV Est line, near Passavant-en-Argonne)
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

well the article i was referencing, from a UK train mag just arrived, said the attempt would be from Feb - April so must be old snooze now. This is obviously the same record i was talking about.
Thanks for saying it's passe and was successful.
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:22 AM

The tests are still going on (until april) the goal is 560 - 570 km/h.
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:26 AM

That's far too fast - you won't see the counrty side
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:27 AM

The have promised to slow down when the train travels through "interesting" areas.
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Stumble:

not sure about the new LGV Est right of way but i rode the new high-speed Cologne to Frankfurt Airport line recently - up to 195 mph only, a snail's pace relatively to the TGV test speeds - and even if the train were going slower due to wind screens and numerous tunnels you see little of the relatively bucolic rural area the train blasts thru.
Of course trying to change folks from planes to trains so speed is a critical factor.
Norween- thanks for the update.
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Tongue was firmly in cheek! I am developing a real love for rail travel. Next, I'll have an anorak and note book!
Mar 5th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

A to be a train spotter at Clapham Junction! take my thermos with me.

Back to TGV speed record already set and aiming higher, thanks to norween!

Project is called V150 as this translates in French to vitesse 150, the number of metres translating to 540 km/hr running.

Like norween said, they are now aiming higher - SNCF has strongly denied that they are aiming for as high as 600 km/hr or aim for the world's rail speed record of 581 km/hr done by a Japanese maglev train - should say the new TGV record, beating an old TGV mark set near Chartres 5.15.3 km/hr set in May 1990, is for a conventional train on rails.
The test train, from Alsthom, is a prototype of Alsthom's future high-speed train, which, due to having power distributed throughout the whole train set, will also seat 20% more folks than current TGVs - so faster and more economical to operate i guess.

Next- how they had to fashion the train for the high-speed record attempt.
Mar 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM

"...from a UK train mag just arrived..."

Typical for a UK train - two weeks late.
Mar 5th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

The Italian train mag is yet to arrive!
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

What preparations were made for the record assault?

TGV POS tri-voltage power cars (being developed to run on catenaire voltages used in France, Switzerland and Germany) pulling three TGV Duplex cars (doubledeckers - strange...seems would be more wind resistance with them)

on the 'trailer cars' the central two trailer bogies are replaced with bogies equipped with thenew type traction motors for the AGV, Alsthom's future high-speed train i mentioned above that will distribute power throughout the train set to allow for 20% more seating capacity with same length of train.

For the record attempt the tracks will not be modified themselves but

the overhead wire will be adjsted to a much higher tension than normal and the voltage will be hyped up significantly over that required for normal running.

The train's power cars will be fitted with large wheels than on normal TGVs, as well as revised transmission gear ratios and improved suspension and there will be additional streamlining of the train. (But no real aileron as there was on the 1990 TGV Atlantique set that set the previous record in 1990.)
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:37 AM

And the new TGV record is ... 574,8 km/h since this afternoon (thats's 100km in 17 mn)
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:42 AM

Correction, the record is 574,8 km/h and the test was done on a 100km length, the total 100 km leg was done in 17mn