Rail Service in Italy

May 9th, 2017, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Rail Service in Italy

Is there a difference between the train "companies" in Italy. I am making the final arrangements for a trip next month and booking rail service between Venice and Florence and then Florence and Rome.

Is there any reason to pick either Trenitalia or Italiarail over one another?

I already booked Napoli to Venezia S. Lucia and used Trenitalia for the earlier part of our trip.

I have yet to book Rome to Napoli but since we are traveling that leg on the day we arrive in Rome, I will book it when I get there (in case our flight runs late or customs is swamped) - someone told me I can book that in station at the airport before I take the Leonardo Express to Rome to catch the train to Napoli.

I appreciate any train insights. - M
May 9th, 2017, 05:42 PM

You can book your airport to Rome to Naples at the airport.

Italiarail is a re-seller, maybe you were thinking of Italo? They also run the Rome to Naples route. I have not used Italo yet but I will in July this year for the same route. The cost was much less than Trenitalia.

have a great trip!
May 9th, 2017, 07:50 PM

State-owned Trenitalia (www.trenitalia.com) runs high-speed trains in competition with privately-owned Italo, www.italotreno.it

Italiarail.com is a US-based agency which resells Trenitalia tickets, perhaps in an easier way than Trenitalia themselves, but with a small fee added.

I'd try both Trenitalia and Italo and see what you think.

I have written a summary of Italy and how it compares with Trenitalia's Frecciarossa trains here: https://www.seat61.com/italo.htm
May 10th, 2017, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

THANK YOU! Man_in_seat_61 - very helpful.

One more question... being that one company is state-owned and another is privately-owned, is the either less prone to strikes?

I've been very fortunate in my travel and when I've been to Europe and there have been rail strikes my travel hasn't been disrupted.

Thanks, M
May 10th, 2017, 09:15 PM

Strikes in Italy are scheduled in advance and quite a few of the fast trains are strike proof anyway. Trenitalia only has the details on the Italian version of their website.

http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom/Infor...so-di-sciopero
May 11th, 2017, 12:29 AM

"being that one company is state-owned and another is privately-owned, is the either less prone to strikes?"

Italotreno isn't privately owned in the conventional sense. 20% of shares are owned by the French government, and much of its other shareholdings are ultimately controlled by the Italian state or regional authorities.

The single rail company most affected in Europe by industrial unrest (Britain's Govia Thameslink) is also a joint venture between the French government and local private enterprise.

What really triggers strikes and general union disruption isn't ownership: it's when a business once owned by a state monopoly starts trying to get rid of inefficient business practices. Contrary to American beliefs, strikes are a bigger risk on Europe's privatised railways - especially those controlled by insensitive foreign governments - than on those where the state monopoly goes unchallenged.

Trenitalia simply hasn't got the balls for that (though it might if it ever gets privatised), and Italotreno hasn't inherited Trenitalia's inefficiencies.

Search this Thread