Reload this Page >

Rail/Plane tickets - Buy US or Spain?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 07:17 AM
celeste

We will be traveling to Spain last week of April and will be using the train, plane and car in moving around. The car we already prepaid here in US. Will there be a problem if we buy our tickets once in Spain? We plan to AVE RT Seville-Cordoba and fly from Granada to Madrid (or bus, train, drive?). What will be the best way to go to Madrid from Granada? We prefer the train, but it seems tooo long (6 hrs. or 9 depending on the train). Help, need your expertise please.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 09:27 AM
lora

We bought tickets to travel from Madrid to Seville in the morning for a 7p.m train (around $54 pp one way second class). The train was very nice, about a quarter full with mostly business travelers. It might be more crowded in April because of Easter. We took an overnight train from Granada to Madrid and also bought tickets the morning of travel. We took a 2 person compartment that had a little sink, the linens were clean. It was around $84 for two people for everything. The overnight train is old style, not the Talgo but I slept OK. It's the best way to go if you want maximize time in each location. There is no problem buying ticket when you get there, the people we encountered spoke English. I would recommend you buy all tickets at once in the first days when you get to Spain. Traveling between Madrid and Seville and Granada and exploring Andalusia by car sounds like a good plan to me.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 04:31 PM
celeste

Thanks,Lora. That's a big price difference bet. buying here and in Spain. I contacted Raileurope 2x and they give me a totally different versions. 1st version is you have to buy a ticket (1st class is $54 + sleeper, $54, double; $80, single). 2nd version is you can only buy the seat ticket here in US which is $54 for 1st class, however, the sleeper you have to buy in Spain. Go figure! But in your case you said $84 for 2 people compartment, right? We are planning to store our luggage at the train station, go around Granada the whole day and night until the 11:30 PM train. Did you do the same and how safe are the train lockers in Granada and would you know up to what time it closes? Thanks.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 08:52 AM
Olga

Celeste: <BR>I'm going to Spain first week of April and got the same questions about train tickets and lockers in Granada.. What did you decide about rail tickets - bue here in US or in Spain? And is it possible to keep luggage in train station lockers untill 11:30p.m. train? <BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 09:51 AM
celeste

Thanks, Lora. Olga, we decided to buy our tickets in Spain. I do not have info yet on what time the train lockers close and safety. Anyone? Lora, how was the security re sleeper from Granada to Madrid? We are a bit concerned because we read about muggings/petty crimes in long-distance train, esp. sleepers.