says a report from Man in Seat 61, the current guru of European trains - on his site - as of December, with advent of winter schedules there will be no overnight trains between Rome and Florence and Paris - the Venice to Paris trains will continue to run, for now.
Poor service and a low occupancy rate - 30% Man in Seat 61 says - doomed the service.
So for all those folks during the past several months I said could take an overnight train between Rome and Florence and Paris - saving time and a night in a hotel cost, not possible on this route after wingter schedules come into effect this December.
And I lament this turn of events - I have ridden zillions of overnight trains all over Europe and love them for their utilitarian nature and also they are always an adventure - especially in couchettes where strangers and sexes are mixed in together - you never know who your compartment mates will be - mainly I've had some great experiences and conversations along with some fiascoes - but generally nice folk - though you can no longer hop a night train between Rome and Florence to Paris there are still zillions of overnight trains running in Europe.
Consider them for an adventure if you've never taken any!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 AOL MAIL ☎ 1~800~681:7208 Password Reset CONTACT Now ☎ AOL Tec*h baba!
- 2 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 3 Barcelona to Malaga
- 4 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 5 Which Area in London?
- 6 Milan airport--which one
- 7 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 8 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 9 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 10 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 11 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 12 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 13 1st time to Europe
- 14 Paris November 2017
- 15 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 16 Paris Apartment
- 17 Trains - website?
- 18 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 19 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 20 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 21 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 22 St, Goar or Bacharach
- 23 How to go up Schafberg Mountain when railway is closed
- 24 Ham tacos and the toilet isn't sucking mud
- 25 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
Rail News: Rome/Florence to Paris Night Trains to Be Scrubbed...