We are a 30-something couple from Scotland, looking for advice on planning rail travel around northern Italy.
Trains to/from UK already booked, arriving in Italy on 13th July and departing on 25th July, so that leaves us 11 nights to fill in the blanks.
Our interests on this trip include good food & drink, Renaissance art & architecture, UNESCO world heritage sites, museums, parks, gardens.
Current rough itinerary is as follows. Does this seem too ambitious for the number of days available? Are all these easily accessible by train (or bus/taxi)?
- Paris 1 night (already booked)
- Zurich 1 night (already booked)
• Bernina Express through Alps
- Lecco 1 night (already booked)
• Cruise Lake Como, visit Bellagio
- Bologna 2-3 nights (is this a good base for Emilia-Romagna?)
• Day trips to Parma, Modena, Po Delta?
• Foodie tours – Parmesan cheese, Parma ham, Balsamic vinegar
• Visit Lamborghini factory (possibly Ferrari factory museum too)
- Florence 3-4 nights
• Day trips to Pisa, Lucca? Is Assisi worth a detour?
- San Gimignano / Siena 1 night (or as day trip from Florence instead?)
- La Spezia 1 night (or as day trip from Florence instead?)
• Walk Cinque Terre
- Milan 3-4 nights
• Expo 2015
- London 1 night (already booked)
Originally, we had also considered Venice and other areas in Veneto, but now think time may be too tight for this; plus Venice will be worth a dedicated visit another time.
Any and all comments/suggestions welcomed, including places to eat/drink/be merry! Thanks
Neil & Fiona
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sleep at Heathrow
- 2 Arezzo - how much time?
- 3 First time in Spain - family of 2 adults & one child(10 yr old)
- 4 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 5 South of London in March, ancient trees and Daffodils?
- 6 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 7 15 days honeymoon trip to Europe in February end and March
- 8 Keukenhaf
- 9 Netherlands- Texel
- 10 Netherlands, Brussels and possibly Luxembourg
- 11 8 day flexi Swiss pass
- 12 Cotswold - great food & ambience for lunch!
- 13 9 day trip to France
- 14 Help with Country House Hotel Christmas 2018
- 15 Order of Amalfi visit in October
- 16 England
- 17 Annecy or Talloires or other?
- 18 Santa Maria Novella products??
- 19 Waze Navigation in Iteland? Or other?
- 20 US dairy vs European Dairy
- 21 Restaurant suggestion Bamberg
- 22 Once upon a time in Italy
- 23 2 week May trip with kids
- 24 Which Aran Island??
- 25 Serious fire at Cameron House Hotel, Loch Lomond