Search

Venice with children

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice with children

Hello,
can anybody suggest an itinerary for a 2 day visit to Venice with a 4 ,7 and 10 year olds in August.We are then catching a train to Gardaland on lake Garda

I appreciate it will be hot and busy ,a trip down the grand canal on a water taxi the Rialto bridge and St Marks are a must,but otherwise what would people suggest?

Obviously the kids are a little young for museums and art.We are staying in Mestre,so any parks and playgrounds and children friendly restaurants would help.
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 09:02 AM

Your kids will LOVE Venice! It's such a special beautiful place. I would encourage you to plan to visit St. Mark's between 11:30 am and 12:30 pm. During this time, the church turns on all of the interior lights, making for excellent viewing of the mosaics.
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 01:17 PM

I think you are just going to need to play it by ear. Just trying to get into the area of St Marks at high noon in August may be intolerable for your smallest child. Even at less crowded times of year, the foot traffic squeezing through the alleyways -- one single file line going one way, one single file line going the other -- is difficult for a full grown person. For a small person on this force march might be too much.

There is a often a carousel at the Riva degli Schiavoni, so if your idea is to take the train from Mestre into Venice, and then get a private water taxi down the Grand Canal, then perhaps you can make the Riva degli Schiavoni to your first stop. From there your children can see the Bridge of Sighs, you can battle your way into San Marco -- and then I would suggest you just pick your way back to eventually end up at the train station when you think you've had enough, stopping for lunch, of course, and lots of treats. Go inside the cool churches and any place else that looks interesting. Buy your kids small toys and balls they can kick around a campo or two while you sip cool drinks.

I think by the time you get back to Mestre you will want the most convenient place to eat, probably a pizzeria.

I think it is great you are taking your kids to Gardaland. I'm not saying you won't enjoy Venice, but I think the day will work out best if you read up a lot about the city, so as you pass things you know where you are and if you'd like to pop in, but other wise just poke around as a great adventure.
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 01:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
you could of course get the no1 or no 2 vaporetto down the grand canal and get off at San Marco, thus avoiding the crush that stevewith rightly describes.

then walk over the Accademia bridge to the Zattere and have an ice-cream in the sunshine [or better still the shade if you can find some]. you could also catch a boat over to the Guidecca and then to the isola di San giorgio and climb the tower [as good a view as the one in San Marco but cheaper and less crowded] or walk back to the Rialto through santa Croce and San Polo which may be less crowded than San Marco. [follow the sings for Rialto on the sides of the buildings].

OR - get the boat back to San Marco then perhaps walk up to the Rialto and walk or catch the boat back to the station [shown as "Ferovia" on large letters on the corners of the streets].

you might find that buying a day pass for the vapporetti [which now charge a whopping €7 per journey] would be a good idea.

we went to Gargaland in August once - it was extremely hot and the queues were quite long. there's also a water park nearby which you might enjoy.
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 02:16 PM

I was in Venice with my 6 year old last October and we found St Marks Square far more accessible in the early evening and my daughter had a wonderful time. Apart from that we pretty much spent the time getting lost sightseeing in Venice which meant we saw plenty! If you have the time take the vaporetto to Murano, we found it far less busier than 'central' Venice and very pretty, plus a fair bit cheaper for eating!
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 04:26 PM

Yes, your kids might really enjoy the glass blowing demonstrations on Murano. You will feel pressure to buy from the touts, however, so dont go if that would kill your mood.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 03:49 AM

if you're going to Murano, definitely pay for a day pass for the vaporetti. it'll almost pay for itself in that one trip.
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all,any tips of anything worthwhile for children n Mestre?
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 03:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mestre?

Ma che schifo!

Ma sei matto??

I would never stay in Mestra. That is like staying in Newark if having your holiday in Manhattan.

Good luck to you. Just returned from Venice on Saturday. Hot Hot Hot! And VERY crowded.

A tsunami of tourists.

Your kids would probably like a gondola ride.

Buy them gondoliers' hats and some gelato.

Let them chase pigeons in Piazza San Marco whilst you have a spritz and a Klonopin at Florian.

Kids and Venice in August is not a good combo.

Thin
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 07:04 AM

http://wikitravel.org/en/Mestre
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 09:11 AM

We're in Venice now with our four children, ages 5,6,7, and 9. We are staying at the ai Bareteri, which is located close to everything. Our rooms are quite large, easily fitting 3 to the room, but could sleep four. This morning we had an early breakfast and then headed to the Basilico San Marco at 9:00. Had to wait briefly, as the church doesnt open until 9:45. The kids and I walked around while my husband stayed in line. After viewing the church we went sightseeing. Gorgeous architecture! Headed back to the hotel for drinks and a quick rest then headed back out for an amazing gondola ride through the side streets. The boat ride took 45 minutes and our gondolier was so personable and educational, and even sang for us! After that we headed to a pizzaria for lunch. Yum! Walked around for a couple more hours, then went to the COOP for the makings for sandwiches for dinner. Got back to our hotel around 5:00, where we rested, played with our electronics, and had dinner. Around 8:00, we went out for a walk to see the town at night. Ended up back by the Basilica where my husband and I enjoyed a drink while the kids ran around the square. All in all, a great day in Venice. Tomorrow, we're off to watch some glass blowing, eat lunch at a fancy restaurant, then to see their ocean and beaches. Weather is really hot, but thankfully, because the buildings are so close to each other, lots of shade.
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 10:33 AM

shannon -how long are you in Venice?

sounds like you're having a great time, and taking things at a pace you and the kids are comfortable with>