Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Radisson Edwardian Savoy Court Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/radisson-edwardian-savoy-court-hotel-89442/)

s! Oct 9th, 2000 03:01 PM

Radisson Edwardian Savoy Court Hotel

Has anyone ever stayed at this hotel in London? I'd love to hear your comments. Thanks.

jerry Oct 9th, 2000 04:01 PM

i am waiting for a response to your question. i saw an advertisement about all the hotels and how they have refurbished them. i am going in jan 2001 and would like to stay there also.

James Oct 10th, 2000 04:14 AM

Ditto.

topper Oct 11th, 2000 01:12 PM

up please. <BR>

Santa Chiara Oct 11th, 2000 01:15 PM

I have not stayed in that particular hotel but I have stayed in one of the chain. To me it is one of the best deals in London, and from a previous post (sorry, can't remember but it was the last day or two), other also agree. I would recommend it.

mike Oct 13th, 2000 10:55 AM

I stayed @ this hotel in 4/99 and thought it was quite nice. It's an older building that is well maintained <BR>& gives you an old style charm. <BR>What I liked: <BR>Great staff that was extremely helpful. <BR>It is a rather small building, so you are not overwhelmed by too many people. <BR> There is a small, but quite nice restaurant on the premises that is great for breakfast, a quick bite, or <BR>something to drink-be it tea or a pint. It's open all day. <BR> Being an older building, it has charm & character you can't find in a new hotel, although the hallways are narrow & the floors are squeaky. <BR> Location, location. It is one block <BR>from Oxford Street, a great shopping <BR>area, and it is steps away from Marble Arch, Hyde Park, and a tube stop. <BR> What i didn't like about it was also the location. The hotel faces the back <BR>of a large commercial building that faces Oxford St. The service entrances <BR>are there so it can get rather noisy with delivery trucks. Our room was on the street, so perhaps if you are off the street it is quieter. <BR> Would I recommended it? Sure, as I recall we got a very good rate, & considering that you could do worse, it's not a bad value. Any more questions, let me know.

Michelle Oct 14th, 2000 02:21 AM

Personally I think the Radisson chain is pretty good value. If this hotel is the one at the back of Selfridges (off Oxford Street), yes I've stayed there. Room was smallish but very nice (also quiet). Service excellent and staff very friendly. <BR> <BR>Radisson frequently give discount rates so maybe it's worth checking this out. Of the 4 London Radissons I've stayed at (Tottenham Court Road, back of Selfridges, Leicester Square and the one near Heathrow) the best was Leicester Square (truly glorious room), but to my mind, all have been good value. <BR> <BR>

Patrick Oct 14th, 2000 07:00 AM

This summer I popped into the Raddison at Leicester Square to see if they had a brochure with printed directions or map to the Raddison at Heathrow, since we were driving there our final night before flying off to Istanbul. They didn't have anything, but proceeded to call the hotel, get detailed directions, and draw us a very good map. They must have spent twenty minutes working on our problem, and we weren't even staying there. Now that's what I call service in a hotel!

s! Oct 14th, 2000 02:45 PM

Thank you Mike and Michelle. I appreciate you both taking the time to respond.

topper Oct 15th, 2000 12:48 PM

Up please.

richardab Oct 16th, 2000 07:51 AM

I have stayed at this hotel and think it is a great find. It has the feeling of Eduardian England and has the typical friendly staff and clean rooms as is to be expected by a Radisson chain. The biggest difference is the atmosphere. The location right off Oxford street can't be beat. You can drop off you packages as you shop! Tube stations are very close and there are many sight s within walking distance! <BR> <BR>Enjoy!

richardAB Oct 16th, 2000 07:53 AM

P.S. All of the other Radisson Eduardian Hotels are also in good locations and very nice.

s! Oct 16th, 2000 08:24 AM

Thank you Richard.

s! Oct 21st, 2000 08:16 AM

Does anyone one know which tube stop is closest to the hotel?

s! Oct 21st, 2000 08:48 AM

Does anyone know if this hotel has bath AND showers in each room? Also, any information on the available room types? (The reservations people don't seem to really know. I think they are in Nebraska reading a computer screen.) Thanks.

Mike Oct 23rd, 2000 08:25 AM

Marble Arch is the closerst tube stop, a 2/3 minute walk. Our room had a combination shower/tub.

s! Oct 23rd, 2000 11:25 AM

Thanks Mike. <BR>s!

s! Nov 4th, 2000 09:35 AM

I read at lastminute.com that there is construstruction taking place across the street from the hotel. I just called the hotel directly and the nice receptionist told me that there IS construction across the street and the rooms in the back of the hotel should be quieter. I have to call the reveservations line directly to request a room in the back...if available. <BR> <BR>Has anyone ever written or called the general manger of a hotel directly to ask for a particular room type?

t Nov 4th, 2000 10:25 PM

t

suzanne Nov 5th, 2000 05:18 AM

You can always call the hotel directly after having made your reservations (preferably with your travel agent who may have a corporate rate with that hotel)and request a special room or location. The standard answer to your question is "We can't guarantee that room but will put it on request" And most upscale hotels will try their best to fullfil your request. I've stayed at the Radisson Hampshire at Leicester Square and love the hotel and location. The Radisson Pastoria -also at Leicester Square is also nice and much less expensive- right around the corner from the Hampshire. Rooms are much smaller but a good buy for the location. The Radisson Hampshire has both bath and shower and a wonderful afternoon tea.