Radi un Draugi Hotel, Riga

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like what I've read about this. Is it noisy?
Thanks
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Topping for fellow light sleepers!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 01:58 PM
hsv

Frances,

I haven't stayed there (but used to live for a while basically across the street at Konventa Seta Hotel).
That said, I cannot imagine the place to be noisy at all. Old Town Riga is not that much populated at night and whereas the pretty popular Dickens Pub is just steps away, I suppose you should be fine at the hotel.
It does get rave reviews and usually books up quickly.
In case it should be booked, I would encourage you to also look at the Konventa Seta, which is not that much more expensive and offers clean rooms that are up to Western standard (the Radi un Draugi meaning "Friends and Relatives" is under English management, whereas the Konventa Seta as a sister property to 4-star Hotel de Rome is under German management).

Do check the website of Latvian travel agency Via Riga for rates on both properties:
http://www.viariga.com

Should you have any further questions, do not hesitate to post!
Regards
hsv
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

hsv- thank you so much for responding.Which out of these two hotels would you take as first choice?.
Happy New Year to you!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 06:03 AM
hsv

Frances,

happy new year to you, too!

Your question is a tough call for me - especially as I haven't stayed at the Radi un Draugi, which has an excellent reputation for a budget hotel.
It is located smack in the middle of Old Town slightly East of St. Peter's church.
The Konventa Seta is also considered one of the city's prime 3-star hotels and in general might be rating half a star higher than the Radi un Draugi.
It is operated by the same management as the Hotel De Rome, which is highly acclaimed for its service and has received five star honors, though I think it is only four star as they lack some amenities such as a fitness center and a pool, but that's a different question.
As I wrote, I used to live for a while in Riga and spent a few months in an Appartment at the Konventa Seta, which is an old convent housed in a couple of buildings also in the center of Old Town slightly North of St. Peter's and only steps from the Radi un Draugi. The rooms are basic, but clean and mostly feature wooden floors. Bathrooms to the most extent are showers only, if I am not mistaken, but everything is very clean, modern and absoultely up to Western standards.
The Radi un Draugi has undergone at least one expansion and also should be modern.
Bottom line is: I don't think you could go wrong with either one. So what it comes down to is price and availability. Both hotels book up pretty fast, but I think the Konventa Seta is a bit bigger and thus might have some better availability.
Enjoy Riga at either of the two places and if you need restaurant recommendations, do let me know. I have also posted here on a couple of threads, which you might be able to find by searching for "Riga" and clickling on the threads. Riga does not receive that much notoriety at this boars, so I have posted on most of the threads and you shouldn't have any problems coming across them.
However, if you want to indicate some preferences, I will gladly try to customize my recommendations!

Have a great weekend
hsv
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

We are now booked in the Konventa Seta. Thank you very much
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:45 AM

Frances, I think that you will enjoy Konventa Seta - it's a lovely property in an excellent location. It's only a few steps from Radi un Draugi. I, personally, stay at Radi un Draugi almost every year - it truly is like family. Radi un Draugi does get booked up quickly - it's very popular. I am a Latvian by birth and try to visit Latvia (now that it has regained its independence) every year. And I have been amazed at how Riga has changed. The first time I visited, in 1992, everything was grey. It had that soviet pallor - and now, it has been, albeit slowly, transformed and rejuvenated. It's a beautiful city with splendid architecture - such as the Art Nouveau buildings on Alberts iela (Albert Street). Enjoy your visit, Laime