Rachael Ray's Rome & Tuscany on $40 a Day TV Episodes/Love of Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just viewed Rachael Ray's travel show with her visits to Rome and Tuscany. I really enjoyed it and wondered if anyone else who's seen it, did also? Wondered if she has made DVD's of these shows like Samantha Brown did of hers?

I'll tell you, I just can't get enough of these travel shows especially of Europe because I love European cities so much. I walk into Marshall's, TJMax, AJ Wright and Burlington Coat Factory, stores of the like, and gravitate to the Home Decoration Departments longing to see glimpses of Paris, Rome, Venice, London, etc. in their furnishings.

I go on e-bay looking for trinkets, paintings, furnishings, jewelry, etc. to remind me of the trips I have made to these beautiful European cities. I long to see the scenery in films that take place in these countries. Wishing I could travel more and now need to plan a trip.

Are there other Fodorites that feel the same way as I do? By the way, I always let people know about this forum and the wonderful recommendations that I've gotten here. Thank you.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 06:24 PM

Keep in mind that she filmed $40-a-Day in 2002, so the prices have gone up (I saw the Rome show the other day and she was operating on a euro that was worth less than the dollar!) and not all of the places she recommends are still there. I loved the show when it first came out, but I think it's irresponsible to rerun shows that are 8 years old.

Example: We went to her Paris recommendation, Le Gourmet d' Ille and loved it. Sent my brother, went again... it's no longer there.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 06:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I agree but also not a fan of Rachael Ray nor Deen
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I get so tired of these celebs... complete overexposure and too much sweetness/cutesiness!
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 07:28 PM

I remember that last October when I was in Rome the Euro was 155..Our dollar wasn't worth anything..

It would be great to spend only 40 dollars-a-day for food in Rome or Paris.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 09:13 PM

I loved the RR episodes in Europe but agree that they are dated. I managed to spend less than $40.00 a day during my last trip but then I went alone so didn't eat out much. I picked up croissants and had breakfast in my apartment, then usually lunch out and dinner usually picked up at the markets. I made up for it by stopping at a different chocolate shop daily for a few pieces of dark chocolate.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 09:37 PM

Last night we had dinner is in a very small restaurant in a VERY small town here in Chianti and we shared one Tuscan salad, each had a small serving of pasta with very plain meat and tomato sauce, had one bottle of still water, and two "light" Coca-colas in those very small bottles and the total was Euro 52.

The whole experience was worth the money for the atmosphere alone but I cannot imagine eating on Euro 40 per day, especially in SOME of the more "touristy" areas of cities such as Florence where this past week some places were charging Euro 7 for TWO scoops of gelato (last night we had five scoops between the two of us and only paid Euro 6,50 so it obviously depends, a LOT on where you eat).
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 02:00 AM

Ahhh yes...i remember the days when the euro was worth 95 cents!

The first time I heard San Crispino gelato recommended was by Rachel Ray. ANd boy was she right!!!!
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 02:45 AM

When I watch her I wonder where are Alvin and Simon.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Ha! Ha! Loved your responses! Yes, I know that the dollar is not worth as much anymore, and that's not good at all. So, I have to save up a lot to spend in Europe this time around.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 11:13 AM

Few things could spoil Europe for me, but Rachel Ray's right up there.