Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Quote of the Day (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/quote-of-the-day-211606/)

jpm May 2nd, 2002 05:57 AM

Quote of the Day

HANS<BR> <BR>You know how Americans are, Kiki. They all love to travel, and then they only want to meet other Americans and talk about how hard it is to get a decent hamburger.<BR><BR>From Naked Lunch (1991) <BR>

John May 2nd, 2002 09:14 AM

And in the end<BR>the love you take<BR>is equal to<BR>the love you make.<BR>

Simon May 2nd, 2002 09:17 AM

Time it was and what a time it was<BR>It was, a time of innocence<BR>a time of confidences.<BR>Long ago it must be<BR>I had a photograph<BR>preserve your memories<BR>there all that's left you.

BeatChick May 2nd, 2002 09:34 AM

jpm,<BR><BR>Are you quoting from Naked Lunch the movie or its eponymous novel by William S. Burroughs (surely, one of the great Beats)?

andy May 2nd, 2002 09:52 AM

Everyone ends up kissing the wrong person at night.

mpprh May 2nd, 2002 09:58 AM

Hi<BR><BR>I've never been to bed with an ugly woman, but I've woken up with a few<BR><BR>Who said this ?<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

S May 2nd, 2002 09:58 AM

"Cheerfulness keeps up a kind of daylight in the mind"<BR><BR>Joseph Addison 1712

the grass is always May 2nd, 2002 10:03 AM

It's time to come home when you start looking like your passport picture.<BR><BR>Erma Bombeck

Santa Chiara May 2nd, 2002 10:10 AM

1. Never go to bed with anyone crazier than you. (Kris Kristoferson)<BR><BR>2. When the times get weird, the weird turn pro. (Hunter S. Thompson)

PCM May 2nd, 2002 10:18 AM

People are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose but they are fun to watch fall downstairs.<BR><BR>Elizabeth Swartz

Al May 2nd, 2002 10:23 AM

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.

Earl May 2nd, 2002 10:23 AM

A cynic is a person who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Jamie May 2nd, 2002 10:26 AM

Dreams are imaginary fulfillments of ungratified wishes.<BR><BR>Sigmund Freud

Jacob May 2nd, 2002 10:32 AM

Love's mysteries in souls do grow,<BR>but yet the body is it's book.<BR><BR>John Donne

Hunkster May 2nd, 2002 11:03 AM

"What's a girl like you doing in a nice place like this ?" - Anonymous.<BR><BR>George Bernard Shaw when propositioned by a gorgeous woman:-<BR><BR>Woman: "We should make a baby together, just think if it had my looks and your brains".<BR>GBS: "Yes madam, but what if it had my looks and your brains ?".<BR><BR>Woman to politician: "I wouldn't vote for you if you were the Angel Gabriel".<BR>Politician: "If I was the Angel Gabriel madam you would not be in my constituency".<BR><BR>My Wife to me on observing straw burning in a volcanic park in Lanzarote:<BR>"Is that how they heat the rock up ?".<BR><BR>My Wife to me in the middle of Tokyo:<BR>"I've just filled my trousers" ( She had a tummy bug ).<BR><BR>Indian waiter to me in Goa after spilling my drink: "Are you pissing ?".<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

LaDeeDa May 2nd, 2002 11:07 AM

The lady in the beauty salon,<BR>"Look Marge, he is a fairy"<BR>The hairdresser,<BR>"Madam, if I were a fairy, I would wave my wand and fix your nose"

Angela May 2nd, 2002 11:18 AM

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.<BR><BR>-- Italian proverb.

Rex May 2nd, 2002 11:20 AM

Some fsvorites of mine from the book "Weird Ideas that Work", by Robert Sutton, a professor of management science and engineering at the Stanford University School of Engineering:<BR><BR>Hire slow learners of the organizational code. Specifically, hire people with a special kind of stupidity or stubbornness -- who avoid, ignore, or reject how things are "supposed to be done around here." Surround those slow learners with fast learners who understand how to promote their creative ideas. <BR><BR>Hire people who make you uncomfortable -- even those whom you dislike. Once you've hired people who prompt discomfort, take extra care to listen to their ideas. <BR><BR>Encourage people to ignore superiors and peers. Hire defiant outsiders. Rather than teaching newcomers about company history or procedure, have the newcomers teach the old-timers how to think and act. Encourage people to drive you crazy by doing what they think is right rather than what they are told. <BR><BR>Find happy people, and let them fight. If you want innovation, you need upbeat people who know the right way to battle. Avoid conflict during the earliest stages of the creative process, but encourage people to fight over ideas in the intermediate stages. <BR>

Doug May 2nd, 2002 11:25 AM

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation.<BR>Herbert Spencer

Fan May 2nd, 2002 11:28 AM

It is our choices that show who we really are, far more than our abilities.<BR>JK Rowling