Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Quickest way to get from Pantheon area to Borghese Gallery? Most scenic?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning to visit the Borghese Gallery on a Sunday in March. If the weather is not good, what is the quickest way to get from the Pantheon area (Piazza Montecitorio) to the Gallery? How long will that take?

On the other hand, if it's nice we may want to walk. What would be the best route and how long would that take (don't want to miss our scheduled reservation time).

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 05:34 PM

A taxi is the best, of course. If you want to walk I would plan on :20 and walk via the Piazza di Spagna. The Galleria itself is on the far side of the park. Do you have a map?
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. Yes, I have a map. If we walk via Piazza di Spagna, are you recommending we enter the park through Piazza Brasile?
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 06:01 PM

Another possibility, although not the most direct, would be to walk from the Pantheon to Trevi, up to Piazza Barberini and up the Via Veneto to the Borghese Gardens.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 06:29 PM

In case you are unfamiliar with the area, I thought I would mention that the Galleria Borghese is uphill, and pretty much at the top, of the Villa Borghese Park.

So, from where you are, it is up and up. I prefer a taxi to the Gallery, then walking down hill back to the historical center.

We have done this walk a couple of times. The best was on a Sunday, when the weather was pleasant. We walked downhill through the park, wandering about with a map, but generally heading downhill, toward Piazza di Spagna.

Another time, we walked east and south, but left the park while still at the top of the hill. This walk wasn't nearly as nice.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Tuscanlifeedit...this is very helpful, thank you. Since we have no definite plans after our Borghese visit (and hoping the weather will be nice) we will take a cab there and plan to walk back through the gardens after our visit.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 04:55 AM

We go from the Pza de Spagna Metro station and take the escalators and steps and come out on the Via Veneto. It's clearly marked in the station.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 04:58 AM

It is an interesting walk in nice weather. On our second visit to Rome, se walked through the park several times to and from our hotel in Parioli.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 06:22 AM

I'd wind down through piazza del popolo personally, up the steps, through the gardens to the gallery. Remember to make reservatons in advance at the Borghese.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 06:25 AM

"Message: We go from the Pza de Spagna Metro station and take the escalators and steps and come out on the Via Veneto. It's clearly marked in the station."

This is a direct route, but you're missing out on quite a bit of the scenerey. If you do go close to Via Veneto, stop off at Harry's for a drink in the early evening and see if the old man with young lady is there. When we were there and stopped in several nights, he had a different lady each evening. I'm sure they were all his daughters and he was just treating them to dinner.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:07 PM

We walked from the Partheon area, but I don't remember the route we took. We had a map but missed the one in the the metro because we didn't take it. Once in the park it was a long way to the Borghese Gallery and the directions were not that clear to us. That's where we had the run-in with the "drug dealer" and the fake policeman. [see Rick Steeve"s book on Italy, if you're curious].Unfortunately, there weren't that many other people around.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 05:41 PM

My favorite way would be to take Via d'Pastni which if a street off of the Pantheon. Walk towards The Corso, cross the Corso to Via D' Muratte (signs will direct you to the Trevi Fountain). Stop and admire the fountain...oohs and aahs. Wind around the fountain to Via Di Stamperia, cross Via del Tritone, bear to your right and enter onto Via Due Macelli (just ask someone to point you in the direction of Piazza D'Spagna), walk towards Piazza D'spanga. When you reach there you can either do up the Spanish steps and walk into the Borghese Gardens by walking up Via Trinita del Monti or walk past the Spanish Steps up to Via Babuino to Piazza del Popolo- then walk up the steps to the Pincio for a breathtaking view of Roma. Follow the signs to the Borghese Villa. Leave yourself plenty of time to take in the sights and maybe even stop on the way for lunch. You could take in the sights at either Canova or Rosatti, two cafes on either side of Piazza del Popolo. It could be about an hour walk-
After you leave the Borghese Villa you could leave at the exit that runs into Via Veneto and walk down Via Veneto for another experience. Lots of lovely expensive restaurants and cafes to stop at for a late afternoon expresso or cocktail before heading back to your hotel. The Cappucine Church is on Via Veneto (it is worth a visit, too- it is decorated with the bones of monks and it quite an eerie but interesting site).
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 07:16 PM

There is a small city bus that runs in a circular route that includes the Pantheon area and the Borghese Gallery-I don't remember the number--19 or 16, I think. It comes frequently.