Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Quick Trip to Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/quick-trip-to-rome-293908/)

Trish Mar 3rd, 2003 08:08 AM

Quick Trip to Rome

This is the second attempt at posting this report and I hope it works. Anyway I've just gotten back from 5 days in Rome my husband who had taken me for my 28th birthday.<BR><BR>We stayed at the Aldrovandi Palace as part of a package purchased online. This included transportation to and from the airport, it was nice getting off a plane and having someone waiting to pick us up. The Aldrovandi Palace was wonderful and even though it's a formal hotel the people were not stuffy at all we felt very comfortable. It must be especially nice in the summer since it's one of the few hotels in Rome with a pool.<BR><BR>I would highly recommend the restaurant at the Aldrovandi it's called Relais La Piscine it's not traditional Italian but the food is amazing and believe me we ate a lot. This supper was included with our package and I guess they wanted us to be well fed because they just kept bringing and bringing the food. When it was time for dessert I declined so they brought a sample of everything. Sadly I ate it all!<BR><BR>We daytripped to Assisi on one day which was a nice change from the hustle and bustle of Rome. The trickiest part of that adventure was getting subway tickets out of those machines, they are very tempermental! Thankfully a nice man took pity and gave us his tickets. Another word of warning was at least half of the ticket machines at Termini were broken and the line up to buy from an agent was huge so leave yourself more time than we did.<BR><BR>A word about the weather it was perfect about 10 or 12 degrees during the day and sunny. Also Rome was less expensive than I expected. The food was consistently good and reasonably priced, transportation and admission to sites were not bad and there were tons of sales for the shoppers.<BR><BR>One last thought was that english was not as widely spoken as I thought it would be. Between my husband and I we speak 4 languages sadly italian isn't one of them but even with our very limited knowledge we had to translate for other people a couple of times. In Venice we found a lot of English not as much in Rome just an observation. <BR>

MarkY Mar 3rd, 2003 09:20 AM

10 or 12 degrees is not perfect weather for me. Too cold. Now about that celcius scale....

kiki Mar 5th, 2003 06:35 PM

Hi Trish,<BR><BR>Glad that you liked the Aldrovandi. I am planning on staying there and have a few questions that maybe you can answer.<BR><BR>First, how was the location? I read that it is a little removed from the hub of Rome, but they have shuttles to the Spanish steps.<BR><BR>Second, how was your room size? Not sure if one section of the hotel has nicer rooms than another section.<BR><BR>Third, any restaurants close by to the hotel, in case we prefer to dine nearby rather than in Roma itself?<BR><BR>Thanks !<BR><BR>Kiki

Trish Mar 6th, 2003 04:35 AM

Hi Kiki,<BR>We stayed in deluxe double room it was a lovely but only moderate in size. The furnishings were very tasteful and warm. The bed was large and there was a little table and with 2 chairs a dresser, desk, mini fridge and a tv. The bathroom a good size with a tub and shower.<BR>I think almost all of the rooms are on one side of the hotel with meeting rooms, restaurant and breakfast room on the other.<BR>The shuttle does run back and forth to the top of the Spanish steps (the walk would be about 10 minutes) but the last shuttle leaves to go back at 7:25 pm. They will also drop you off at the Villa Borghsese or at the top of the Via Veneto.<BR>The only thing that bothered me about the location was that there was no markets, cafes or restaurants nearby. With the exception of the restaurants in the hotel. If I could get the same price for this hotel in the warm weather so I could really enjoy their gardens and the pool I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

kiki Mar 15th, 2003 09:28 AM

Thanks, Trish. I wonder if the shuttle runs later in the summer months back to the hotel at nite. I'll find out when I get there. Glad that you liked your room - I feel better now!