Quick trip report on aa days in Greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a quick post to share the basics. A more detailed trip report with photos will follow.

We spent 10 nights in Greece as that was all we could manage. This was our itinerary: 3 nights Santorini, 3 Naxos, 2 Paros, 2 Athens. Could we have stayed longer? Yes, but given our trip length, this worked well.

I took the advice of some of the experts (primarily TravelerJan and Heimdall) here who responded to my planning post (Booked RT to Athens for Sep, 10 nts. Need help with 7 nt island hopping itinerary.). Originally we were going to spend a night in Athens upon arrival, but were encouraged to go straight to Santorini, so booked flight to Santorini. I was a bit nervous booking another flight that was not a bundled transfer, but it worked out perfectly. We had about 3 hours in between flights. Even had time to stop for coffee and a sandwich at the airport. Everything went smoothly. The Athens airport is very manageable. We followed the advice to print out our boarding passes for Santorini flight in advance (can do 2 days prior), paid extra for a fast track (although this may not have mattered as the crowds were non-existent), dropped off our bags and headed to gate.

We arranged pick up with our hotel (at 40E). Much of the advice said don't stay in Oia because of the crowds, but the hotel I booked, Dreamland houses worked perfectly. I’m a “bang for the buck” traveler and did not want to spend $500+/night, but wanted to be in Oia to enjoy the "off" hours conveniently. This hotel was reasonable, and in a quiet, convenient location, a very short walk into the “touristy” part of Oia and a short walk to the bus station. The advice given said morning and evening were best time in Oia, and that was the only times we were there, so it was perfect. We arrived late in the afternoon. Our room was on the 2nd floor with 2 terraces, with sunset views (but not caldera). First thing we did was go to the pool. We had it to ourselves and it was delightful. We arrived on a Friday, so booked dinner reservations with sunset views for both Friday and Saturday nights. Saturday morning we (2 couples) had hired a private driver for 5 hours. It was worth every penny. Sunday we took a bus to Fira. From there we did the hike to Imerovigli. We had lunch in Imerovigli then took cab back to hotel. We had evening sunset sail planned. We booked Mario at Barbarossa sailing. He leaves from Ammoudi port, so very close.

Monday we took the ferry to Naxos. Also arranged for hotel pickup. We spent 3 nights at Hotel Grotta, and the pickup with free. This hotel was also a short walk to the main part of the old town and the port. The staff here were outstanding, and the breakfast was amazing. Our room had sunset views with the gate of Apollo in the distance. We picked up a car Tuesday morning kept it overnight. Tuesday we drove to various locations and sights around the island. Wednesday we tried to visit Temple of Demeter but it was closed. We then spent some time on a beach in transit and also stopped at Agios Georgios Beach. We returned the car after that.

Thursday we headed to Paros for 2 nights. Stayed at Studios Irene. This is a simple hotel, but clean and quiet in great location, across the street from a beach, and short walk from the old town and port. Breakfast was not included (you can pay for it). We had dinner in the old town and picked up some Danish and fruit salad from a bakery to have for breakfast. The rooms had kitchenette but no coffee maker. In the morning we got coffee a couple of doors down. Friday we took the bus to Naoussa and Lefkes, then took cab back from Lefkes. We did not make it to AntiParos, just not enough time. We had flight to Athens Saturday morning.

We arrived in Athens midday. Took taxi from airport to our hotel, another winner, InnAthens located between Syntagma Square and Plaka area, a short walk to both, and around the corner from the national gardens. That afternoon we went to the National Archeology Museum. The hotel included breakfast and it was outstanding. Sunday we tooka group tour of the Acropolis followed by lunch and the Acropolis Museum. We had originally planned to go to Agora after that, but were too exhausted. People say a day in Athens is enough…I beg to differ. Could have easily spent 3 or 4 days there. Monday morning we walked through the National Garden then checked out and headed to the airport to return home.

I will provide more details (daily stops, restaurants, etc) in trip report post with photos, just need to organize my photos (I take a ton). Overall the itinerary worked well for an 11 day trip. I would not have changed anything. I also was delighted with our hotels. All were clean, quiet and in excellent locations. I would recommend all of them. This was my 1st time in Greece and I'm hoping to return. We all just loved it. My husband had been back in the 70s, at that time he visited Hydra and Athens. Our travel companions also had never been. In a nutshell this trip exceeded my expectations, and my expectations were high to begin with. This is a beautiful country and the people are so warm and friendly.

Last edited by MFNYC; Sep 22nd, 2022 at 04:41 PM.
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 07:07 AM

Looking forward to photos and more details.
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 05:15 PM

I"M so glad that our advice proved helpful and that everything worked out well! NOt surprising that you are hoping to return again... Greece is addictive!
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 11:49 PM

Well done for ignoring “advice” not to stay in Oia & following your own instincts. Dreamland Houses look great. Oia is the best place on the island esp for a first time visitor, whether it is crowded or not.
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by balthy
Well done for ignoring “advice” not to stay in Oia & following your own instincts. Dreamland Houses look great. Oia is the best place on the island esp for a first time visitor, whether it is crowded or not.
We stayed at Olympic Villas in Oia May 1st week and it was gorgeous. We were out most of the day and missed the cruise crowds, Oia is magical early mornings and later in the evenings.

Old Sep 24th, 2022, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Our last morning, we took a walk before leaving. I almost cried at this scene. Just perfect representation of the magic here: