Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   quick Rome advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/quick-rome-advice-1047076/)

jeterray Jun 2nd, 2015 05:23 PM

quick Rome advice

I have been to Rome and seen most of the tourist spots such as the Vatican, etc. Truly loved everything. Will have a half day in Oct to be wandering around, probably near the Vatican, before visiting Pompeii area. Can anyone recommend a quick activity and a restaurant in the area ? It was about 3-4 years that I visited. Thanks so much.

Blueeyedcod Jun 2nd, 2015 05:42 PM

Go see Castel Sant Angelo and head up to the rooftop terrace for some outstanding views.
Have lunch in the cafe.

Jean Jun 2nd, 2015 05:51 PM

More info, please. Is it a half day before traveling to the Naples/Pompeii area and checking into a hotel there? Or were you thinking you could putter around Rome in the morning, see Pompeii in the afternoon, and return to Rome in the evening?

Are you interested in art, seeing more of ancient Rome, wandering interesting neighborhoods/streets... or what?

FWIW, we spent most of a day exploring Pompeii, and then we spent a half day at the archeology museum in Naples which is where nearly all of the artifacts from Pompeii are kept. On a second trip, we spent more than half a day at Herculaneum and a few hours seeing more of Pompeii. We saw Vesuvius on another day.

Jean Jun 2nd, 2015 05:53 PM

I second the suggestion of Castel Sant'Angelo, but I also loved Ara Pacis on the other side of the river (closer to Piazza del Popolo).

jeterray Jun 2nd, 2015 06:27 PM

Thanks so much for your responses, Jean- sorry I was unclear. We will land in Rome about 1:00 pm. We know not to crash immediately, but get on schedule. So we want to spend the rest day of arrival just wandering around Rome. We then have more days to visit other sites, including Pompeii area. Thanks again.

Jean Jun 2nd, 2015 07:44 PM

Have you been to the Vittorio Emanuele monument (the "typewriter") in Piazza Venezia? There is an elevator to the rooftop viewing terrace. The late afternoon/early evening sun casts a wonderful light on the red tile roofs below and St. Peter's in the distance. On the other side, the perspective overlooking the Forum and Coloseum makes for great photos.

I don't know the timing, but there is a changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (WWI) on the front (steps) side of the monument. Inside the monument is a museum about the unification of Italy.

rbciao47 Jun 3rd, 2015 05:07 AM

For a different experience visit the Capuchin Crypt museum on Via Veneto 27, just up from the Piazza Barbarini Metro stop. This crypt is decorated with the bones of dead monks that form unusual shapes. Rick Steves made this place popular with his tv show. You could continue walking up the hill on the very fashionable street. The American Embassy is also in this neighborhood.

From there you can walk down through the Piazza Barbarini to Via Trinitrone and head downhill to the historic center. A good walk could begin at the Trevi Fountain, now under restoration, to the Pantheon, and then on to Piazza Navona.

Buon viaggio,