Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Quick reply needed re US Air strike possibility in Sept. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/quick-reply-needed-re-us-air-strike-possibility-in-sept-178969/)

kk Aug 22nd, 2001 02:36 AM

Quick reply needed re US Air strike possibility in Sept.

Here's the problem. My elderly (and confused) in-laws are about to book tickets to fly from Ottawa to Houston around September 14, returning ten days later. The best connections and prices are on US Air. <BR>I believe I read somewhere here on Fodors--either the US or Europe forum--that some part of US Air may be in a position to strike about that time. Do I recall that correctly, or what? Anybody know? Many thanks...I think they want to book tomorrow so I need a speedy response. <BR>=====I posted this on the US forum last night and didn't get any replies...I'd thought that would be the place to do this question, but now I am trying here. Thanks.

Phyllis Stein Aug 22nd, 2001 04:24 AM

Hiya kk: <BR> <BR>I've seen you around on these USAir questions lately, and you do remember reading something about a strike in September. <BR> <BR>Someone posted a comment about the possibility of a stike against USAir Express, which must run those short-hop type flights. I have been trying to read all I can about USAirways (since purchasing a ticket for November), and haven't seen anything on this myself. <BR> <BR>I seem to remember that one of the travel or ticket websites I used to read had a regular feature on airline labor disputes -- a clickable box on the home page that was regularly updated. If only I could find that again now.... <BR> <BR>Good luck with the in-laws.

Tolly Aug 22nd, 2001 04:35 AM

There's a Sept. 16 deadline afterwhich the flight attendants on USAir Express are free to strike. The variables are numerous, however, including a presidential back-to-work order. <BR> <BR>I'd check two things: the USAir website itself to see whether USAir Express is possibly involved in your itinerary (I'd doubt it); and via Yahoo news or someother websearch facility, look at recent news coverage of USAir. Usually this is possible either by searching on "USAir" on the news website or by clicking on links to latest news provided on a webpage that analyzes the USAir corporate financial picture. <BR> <BR>

kk Aug 22nd, 2001 07:27 AM

Thanks, Phyllis and Tolly. I'll look at those places on the web....or, rather, my husband can do that. <BR> <BR>And, Phyliss, I am going to need all the luck you can send me regarding the in-laws' visit. You are very good at reading between the lines!

generalpatton Aug 22nd, 2001 08:13 AM

kk: The only US air strikes currently being conducted are those in Iraq. Unfortunately I cannot tell you about those scheduled for September since they are top secret. I'm sure you understand.

Phyllis Stein Aug 22nd, 2001 08:19 AM

kk, I'm married, too.

kk Aug 22nd, 2001 08:53 AM

Dear General Patton, cute, very cute. But I always thought your specialty (when you were here on earth, at least) was infantry. <BR> <BR>Good point, Phyllis. Misery loves company, eh? :)

FoxOne Aug 22nd, 2001 09:33 AM

General, have you updated the Chinese with the September schedule ? ( So they can evacuate their embassy ).

sassyone Aug 22nd, 2001 06:24 PM

I would worry about a strike as I would a crash. Sorry, but they're about due again...