Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Quick question re Portugal airports
Notices

Quick question re Portugal airports

Jul 18th, 2013, 08:55 PM
wj1
Original Poster

Quick question re Portugal airports

We just made a very recent decision to change our 2014 trip from Russia to Portugal. We feel the need to purchase our award tickets but haven't had the chance to buy a guide book. I'm hoping we can figure out which airports to fly in and out of without having determined our itinerary. Any suggestions? Our trip will be about 14 days including travel time and we will be flying from LAX. We intend to rent a car. I expect that we would want to use two or three places as bases for our day trips. I realize that this is a$$ backwards but with a little bit of help, I think we can make it work. In and out of Lisbon or is there something better?

And tomorrow I promise to buy a guide book and map!

Thanks in advance.
Jul 18th, 2013, 09:39 PM

Depending on airline connections from LAX look at flying into Lisbon and leaving from Porto or vise versa. 14 days is time to spend in both amazing cities and have a casual drive visiting places like Obidos, Sintra or the Douro Valley. Perhaps ancient Evora depending on your tastes in travel.

I planned to spend most of my time driving up to Porto and then catching the train back to Lisbon when I thought I could only fly in and out from one city. (I think the train may stop at the airport or is an easy connection and only 4 hours max) but then I found TAP Air to have great inexpensive flights in and around Europe so I flew into Porto and out of Lisbon.

Enjoy Portugal! It is a beautiful country with fabulous food, wine, culture and arts and some of the nicest people I've ever met while traveling in Europe.

Search this Thread