Notices

Quick Ireland Visit

Oct 7th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Quick Ireland Visit

My husband and I are travelling to Ireland for a quick trip at the end of October. We arrive at Shannon on a Thursday morning and need to be in Dublin the following Monday evening. We want to do some highlights of the country in the 5 days we have.
We were thinking day one of heading north from Shannon to tour County Clare. We land at 7 am, but probably won't get out of the airport with our car much before 9 or 10. Considering Cliffs of Moher and touring south to end up in Tralee that night. Also considering doing Aran Islands instead for that whole day. Or should we plan to push north to see Galway and then wind back down the coast? Maybe landing near Limerick for the night? Thoughts?
Friday planning to wake up and head to Dingle Penn. Hiking, biking, sightseeing suggestions welcome. Planning to spend that night in Killarney.
Saturday planning to bike Killarney National Park and Gap of Donloe.
Haven't planned Sunday or Monday. Would appreciate some suggestions. We are outdoorsy active people, but also want to visit some historical sights.
Your help is appreciated!!
Oct 7th, 2015, 09:55 AM

Hi @jenfromnj! First off, you are going to fall in love with Ireland. The Cliffs of Moher are fantastic. Personally, I'd skip the Aran Islands. Mom and I were so excited to take the boat there to see it only there was nothing to see. It was a wasted day. You can see many thatched roof cottages on the mainland. You can buy "Aran" sweaters on the mainland. You can take a buggy ride on the mainland if you do your research or since you are going to Dingle, you can actually ride horses on the peninsula itself. Plus, none of the islanders are friendly. They just want to your money and get ticked off if they don't get it. No smiles, no thank you's no welcomes. Honestly, I'd save my money and go enjoy beautiful Galway instead with all its shops, restaurants and pubs. You can even head to Dublin for a day. I drove all over Ireland, including in the north, across the coast from Giants Causeway to Bunbeg and then south again ending in Nenagh, Tipp. Besides seeing family, I had to go to my favorite place a little ways from there - The Rock of Cashel. When we stayed 2 nights at a lovely b&b in Galway (http://www.seabreezelodge.org) and the owners were fantastic, the room lovely and spotless and the breakfast, OMG so delish! We drove one day up to where "The Quiet Man" was filmed and saw Ireland's only fjord which was cool and great for photos. There really is a ton of things to see and do on the mainland. I've never driven around the south of Ireland, that is a trip I'd love to do. I hope this helps a little!
Oct 7th, 2015, 03:11 PM

Galway to Killarney can easily fill 4 days. If all you want from Clare is 1/2 mile of Cliffs and a "Moonscape" then fine you can fit that into day 1. I suggest Ennis as a base 1/2 hour north of SNN on arrival and you can take as much of the day as you like north west from there. You could also forget the rental car, take the Bus from SNN to Galway and get the afternoon tour of the Cliffs from the city or drive up day one and back down through west Clare day two.

South of the Shannon then driving round Dingle from Ennis to Killarney is quite possible.

You can also consider dropping the car at Kerry airport and getting the train to Dublin as an alternative to driving across.

Search this Thread