Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Quick Europe Trip...where to go??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/quick-europe-trip-where-to-go-694578/)

rizzo0904 Apr 6th, 2007 01:43 PM

Quick Europe Trip...where to go???

My DH and I will be taking a quick trip to Europe at the very end of October. We will be leaving from Chicago...after a wedding we will be attending. Here are our options:

1. Dublin...but will be going to Ireland again in June.

2. London...DH doesn't really want to go there.

3. Madrid

4. Paris

5. Frankfurt

6. Brussels

7. Rome

We will be non-rev'ing...that's why so many options.

We would like someplace that is easily navigated by foot and/or train. We do not want to rent a car. We enjoy hiking, sight-seeing, photography, and EATING!! :). We are very active when we travel and don't like to just sit around the hotel.

Also, we would like someplace that is reasonably priced...not looking to spends lots of money. Just a quick, fun, economical trip.

travel2live Apr 6th, 2007 01:50 PM

My first thought was Prague but since it is not on your list I would definitely say Rome. Rome is chock full of history, culture, things to see and do, is very walkable and has fantastic food.

nbujic Apr 6th, 2007 01:53 PM

another vote for Rome !

JoeTro Apr 6th, 2007 01:54 PM

Of the places I've been to on your list, my ranking would be:

Paris
London
Madrid
Rome
Brussels
Dublin

I got an e-mail about a United spring sale, and I know that Chicago is a hub for them, so maybe you could get some good fall deals.

In terms of cost, London would be the most expensive, so you may want to nix that.

nma Apr 6th, 2007 01:54 PM

ROME!!!!!

JoyceL Apr 6th, 2007 01:58 PM

Paris meets all your criteria. It is the most walkable city I know, and also has the largest number of beautiful sights. I walk for miles whenever I visit there. When you eventually get exhausted from all the walking, there is always a subway station nearby.

But Paris has a wide range of lodgings, so you should be able to find a relatively inexpensive hotel. But I emphasize the word "relatively". Regarding affordability, no Euro-based city in Europe is very affordable these days, not with the value of the dollar being what it is. (The cost of the British pound is even worse, which gives you a good reason to agree with your DH.)

JoeTro Apr 6th, 2007 02:01 PM

Another consideration is length of the trip. I think Dublin, Madrid and Brussels are doable in 3-4 days, while I'd recommend a week/more for Paris, London and Rome. Do you want to feel like you've "seen" most of a place, or just get a taste of a larger city that you'd need to return to.

rizzo0904 Apr 6th, 2007 02:02 PM

Thanks everyone!! Rome is my DH's first choice. We have been to Italy, but most of our time was spent in Sicily. There are many sites in Rome we would like to see again.

Can anyone recommend a bed and breakfast or "cheaper" hotel? Maybe I'll post another thread on that later.

rizzo0904 Apr 6th, 2007 02:04 PM

JoeTro...

If we do Rome, we will definately go back again in the future as my DH has family there.

We only have about 3 full days to enjoy the city, so we would likely have to return to whichever place we choose.

SuQue Apr 6th, 2007 02:06 PM

I love Paris and Rome too, but for a short trip an easy city walkable city would be Amsterdam.The ethnic food choices are unlimited.

Pausanias Apr 6th, 2007 02:10 PM

Dismissing 1 & 2 for the reasons you cited, and omitting Frankfurt because I've never been there, I think Paris or Rome are your best choices. Neither Madrid not Brussels strike me as particularly good walking cities (though the food is very good in Madrid and superb in Brussels). The latter is also an expensive destination. Both Rome and Paris are best seen on foot, offer endless sight-seeing and photo opportunites, and of course excellent dining.

Gardyloo Apr 6th, 2007 03:06 PM

I know it's not on your list, but could you hop a quick connection to Barcelona? Fab in Oct.