Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Questions re Reservations at Italian Museums/Sights

Questions re Reservations at Italian Museums/Sights

Jun 11th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Questions re Reservations at Italian Museums/Sights

I've booked reservations for the Uffizi and Accademia (Florence), Borghese-Rome, and Doges Secret Itineraries tour-Venice. I've booked a tour of St. Peters/Vatican, and a tour of rome historic sites. Should I reserve for the Accademia in Venice if I don't want to go first thing in the morning, and how do I do that? Also, I tried to reserve at Basilica San Marco using www.alata.com site. It gave me a reservation, but wouldn't let me print out the reservation, nor did it email me a confirmation. All I have is the reservation number I copied off the screen. Is this enough, or should I reserve again? I haven't booked walking tours for Florence or Venice, thinking we can walk around and do this on our own. Am I making a mistake? I've searched on this site for answers to these questions but haven't found what I've been looking for. Thanks in advance for any info. --Leslie
Jun 11th, 2004, 08:13 AM

I would advise making a reservation for the Accademia in Florence. That way, you can walk in ahead of everyone else and have some quiet time with David before the masses enter. You can find the info for reserving on the "Helpful Information Italy" thread, or someone like Ira might pop in here to give the telephone number.

I also don't think you will have a problem seeing the sights and touring on your own in either city, as long as you have a good guidebook and some sort of plan. We used Rick Steves' guidebooks for each city and were very pleased with doing things on our own.

Sorry I can't comment on the Basilica in Venice...I didn't make a reservation for that.

Good luck!
Jun 11th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi Statia. Sorry if I was unclear: I already DO have a reservation at the Accademia in Florence. It's the Accademia in VENICE that I was wondering about. Thanks for writing! --Leslie
Jun 11th, 2004, 09:15 AM

Leslie, we didn't make a reservation for that one, but the line was not very long mid-day in July. If it's an important museum for you to see, then I would suggest making a reservation if you can, however....just to be on the safe side. I'm honestly not sure whether or not they accept reservations, though.
Jun 11th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

ttt

Search this Thread