Questions on tube/train travel in London and a possible day-trip to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2009, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for transportation advice for our upcoming trip to London.

It's our first time there, so sorry in advance if I mix up the wording (tube, train, express?)

What's the best way to get to our hotel (on Jermyn Street) from the Heathrow Airport?
Should we pay more and take the express? If so, how do we get to our hotel from its drop-off location? Or should we take regular tube, a taxi, or a bus?
We want to be cost-effective, however we don't want to waste a lot of time and we'll have all of our luggage to carry as well.

Also, we are considering a day-trip to Paris? What's the best way to do that? Take an organized tour or travel on our own? We are Americans, so assuming we'll have to go through customs there and back--is that easy enough? Are the trains reliable? We are considering doing this the day before our return flight home from London and don't want to risk a cancelled train on the way back.

Thanks in advance for your help! I really appreciate it.
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 08:06 AM

Tube=Underground. Take the Tube from Heathrow directly to Piccadilly Circus, which should be walking distance to your hotel. Very easy, should take maybe 45-60mins. If you are not planning to use the tube any more during you stay, just get a single ticket. If there is any chance you will use it again, get yourself an Oyser card:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/default.aspx
Don't take the Express Train- that does not go near Jermyn Street and you would either have to take a cab or tube.And it'll be more expensive.

Go to Paris by Eurostar, I found it very reliable ( unless there is a strike and fire in the tunnel... but don't worry, you'll be fine!). I would probably just arrange it myself, book tickets beforehand. I think some users have booked via http://www.raileurope.co.uk/ before- try that.

have fun!
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 08:06 AM
yk

1) How many people are traveling? What's the street # of Jermyn Street? How much luggage?

-Depending on which part of Jermyn Street, it may be quite close to Piccadilly Circus Station, which is within walking distance. Piccadilly Circus station is on the Piccadilly line of the tube, so you can take the tube direct from Heathrow. That would be the cheapest option, and will take about 45 mins on the tube. Piccadilly circus station has elevators and escalators, so you won't need to drag your luggage up/down flights of stairs.

If you have lots of luggage or don't want to bother with the tube, then look into getting a car service, like JustAirports.com which many people on this board uses.

2) For daytrip to Paris, it's easy to DIY. But tickets in advance on eurostar.com (the sooner you buy it, the lower the prices). In Paris, there are plenty of things you can see in one day, as long as you don't try to get inside. ie, you can go see Eiffel tower but don't bother to line up to get up the tower.

3) Have you bought your plane tix already? If not, it makes more sense for you to fly into London and out of Paris. That way, you can go to London first, on the second to last day, take the eurostar to Paris. Spend one day and the night there, and fly out of Paris. It saves $ and travel time back to London.
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 08:09 AM

For transport, if you don't have a lot of luggage I'd say the Tube is your cheapest way. You can buy tube tickets from the machine or window at the airport and it's about a 45 min ride into central London. I'm not sure where on Jermyn Street your hotel is located but Green Park station is on the Picadilly Line so you don't have to transfer.

As for Paris, a daytrip is easy-peasy and would recommend you check out some specific guidebooks( I believe Rick Steves has a chapter on daytrips to Paris in his London guidebook). You go through customs at St. Pancras before you board the train-no problems.

There can be some delays on the Eurostar, but I'd say 95% of the time they are on time.

Old Feb 21st, 2009, 08:13 AM

If you haven't seen this website for planning all public transportation in London, whether bus, tube or whatever see www.journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk.

Your "best" option depends.

Cheapest is tube. Jermyn street is close to Piccadilly Circus and the Picadilly line goes directly from Heathrow. Fare on website says 4 pounds (at most, it's cheaper with an Oyster Card and cheapest on an Oyster Card outside peak hours). If you are just one or two people and don't have too much luggage and can handle stairs with it, that is what I would do. The express train to Paddington won't be really any faster and certainly won't be cheaper as to would have to transfer at Paddington station anyway.

If you are more than two people or if you have more luggage than you are comfortable handling on the tube then consider a car service like www.justairports.com. To that area between 24 and 28 pounds depending on whether you have need for the slightly larger car. You can get prices and book on line. For cash fare it is very reasonable and very good service.

I have also done the day trip to Paris. It is certainly possible to do on your own on the Eurostar high speed train. Those trains are reliable absent a strike or tunnel accident which does occur from time to time. I had been to Paris several times before I did it as a day trip from London. You could do a day with leaving early, a boat ride on the Batobus past most of the major landmarks, see a couple sites such as Notre Dame and one of the museums, have a nice lunch or an simple cafe supper and get back to London late in the evening.