Questions on Train travel in Europe

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 05:46 PM
Anastasia

Questions on Train travel in Europe

Heading to Paris 9/10-14 then to Nice 9/14-16 then off to Munich and return to Paris to fly back to the states 9/20. I know Europe has great train travel but have no clue where to start!!! The trip is a total of 10 days. Any tips on the best rail passes?

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 05:56 PM
buddy

You may wish to start at this website:
http://www.raileurope.com/us/

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 06:18 PM
PDv

Anastasia,

Also try the site for the French railways www.sncf.com (scroll down to "English" and then to "planning your trip", and then to "book fares"). You can plug in different dates and times, and different fare types to see what the price would be...then if you find one you like, you can reserve and book online.

Hope this helps!
Patrcia

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 06:36 PM
PDv

Anastasia,

The above site is primarily to buy point-to-point tickets, which I think may be the better way to go since you will not be training in all (5) countries covered by the europass. You may find it much cheaper to buy a point to- point ticket to Nice, and then one from Nice to Munich, and then one from Munich back to Paris. I would plug in all of these ticket prices and compare that with the standard europass price to see which would save you.

Here are some sites:
www.sncf.com (french rails)
www.armchair.com (for passes)
www.raileurope.com/us/ (as stated above)
www.bahn.de/ (the german rails)

Hope this helps!
Patricia

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 07:28 PM
Tony

I would seriously consider a lst.Class Europass, which is valid in all the countries you will pass through, i.e., France, Italy, Switzerland and Germany.
The cost is $348 for a pass allowing 5 days travel in 2 months, or $368 for 6 Days travel in 2 months. If there are two of you travelling togather then you can deduct about $50 each of those prices.
Buying point to point tickets may be fractionally cheaper, althoughI have my doubts about that, but the ease and simplicity of having a pre-paid pass makes them well worthwhile.
Changing the subject slightly it is quite a long and complicated train journey from Nice to Munich. It is doable in one day, but I would definitely stopover at either Como or Lugano for l night en route. This will make the journey pleasanter, and will also be a nice change of scenery and ambience from the other places you are visiting.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 07:37 PM
Tony

Further to my post above there is an excellent Swiss train from Nice at 1001 daily, direct (no changes) to Como, arriving 1630 and Lugano, arriving 1654.
It is easily the most convenient way of getting out of Nice for Switzerland.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 07:52 PM
Tony

Sorry to be a nuisance, but I've just thought of another way of travelling from Nice to Munich, which is from Nice to Genoa, Milan and Verona (for an overnight stop), and then direct train from Verona through Innsbruck to Munich.
Possibly quicker, and some great scenery between Verona and Innsbruck.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 08:35 PM
Mike

With only 10 days and if you are over 26 a Railpass may not be your best option. You may be better off buying point to point. To help you decide please visit my site at www.footloosetravel.com. I think you will find the information quite helpful.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 08:45 PM
Pdv

Anastasia,

I guess the point about whether you should obtain a pass or just get point-to-point tickets really depends on whether you prefer to make many stopovers and how flexible your *train portion* is. If you prefer to go as directly as possible to these cities and are planning on doing the majority of your sight seeing in these cities I would go for the point-to-point tickets, as they seem to be, in my opinion cheaper.

However, if you prefer to take lots of detours and many stopovers in other cities along the way(which actually sounds very fun ) I would recommend getting the pass that Tony refers to. I think it really depends on how much "on and off stops" on the train you would prefer to be making --and the pass would certainly give you more freedom to do this. I say if your trip is flexible, go for it!!!

I hope this helps!
Patricia

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 04:04 AM
zzzz

Remember to stay out of Britain, train travel SUCKS in Britain !

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 06:15 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Unless you really want to experience European train travel (which is understandable), consider flying for at least some of the longer trips. With your itinerary, you'll be spending a good portion of your 240 hours in Europe on trains.