Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Questions on Bus/Train into & out of Portofino & Rapallo

Jun 12th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Susan

OK, from what I've read, apparently there is no train stop in Portofino? Is this correct? If so,:
How late in the day does the bus run into and out of Portofino? Would it be a lot more convenient to have a car?
If you wanted to go the Cinque Terre, would it be better to take the bus the whole way, or change to the train in Santa Margherita or Rapallo?
Would Rapallo be a better base than Portofino?
Do the trains run 24 hours?
Thanks for any help!

Jun 12th, 2001, 09:04 PM
xxx

Any help here?

Jun 12th, 2001, 11:59 PM
K

We were in Santa Margherita last month and took the train from there to Cinque Terre and back to Santa Margherita. It was only a couple of minutes away from our hotel in S.M. to the train station.
We have been to Europe 3 times now and been to 6 different countries and my husband and I were just talking about if we had to choose a city we liked the best it would be Santa Margherita. I just posted that comment in another posting a few days ago.
It is one of the most picturesque towns I have seen and I have seen a lot. Therefore my recommendation is why not stay in S.M.?
The answer to your other question is the boat to Portofino is in S.M. and it is a 10 min. ferry ride to Portofino. I do not believe you would be able to drive to Portofino as I don't beleive you could find parking, also it is not easy to drive to.
S.M. is a very small town and the ferry is easy walking distance as is the train station.
If you have any other questions you can e-mail me and I will be happy to answer any if I can.
Oh in answer to one of your other questions there is no train to Portofino. Everyone going to Portofino gets off the train in S.M.

Jun 13th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Susan

K, thanks for your input. Both Portofino and Rapallo have a time share we might be able to exchange into, so that's why I was looking to find out more about getting in and out (I probably should have mentioned that, sorry!). The one in Portofino does have parking, but I wasn't sure I would want to be driving if train/bus would be easier. So, how late in the day does the ferry run? Does anyone else know how late the bus runs? Thanks.

Jun 13th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Paulo

Susan, if you already have a car, you may drive to S.M.Ligure and leave it there while you're away on your daytrip. Though I toured the Cinque Terre with a car (just left if in a parking lot in Riomaggiore) I'd rather do it by train when lodged close bye. If you don't have a car, it would be an absurd to rent one for the specific purpose of visiting the CT. I wouldn't worry much to know till what time ferries/buses run between Portofino and SMLigure. If they're running when you get back, ok. Otherwise you may always catch a taxi. Certainly way cheaper than renting a car

and ... yes, I'd stay in Portofino rather than in Rapallo.

Paulo

Jun 13th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Susan

Paulo: I've seen your answers on lots of posts, and as usual, you give nice clear information. Thanks so much!