Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Questions/Help with Florence Itinerary
Notices

Questions/Help with Florence Itinerary

Mar 8th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Questions/Help with Florence Itinerary

In the early stages of planning trip to Florence. Been to Rome/Venice and Naples/Sorrento/Amalfi Coast area, but first time in Florence. Thinking of making Florence the base and spending 2-3 full days there, then day trips. Pisa/Lucca, Siena, Bologna and then maybe one day driving around Chianti area seeing some of the towns (Greve, etc.). For all of you experienced in the region, does this sound like a good plan? Originally wanted to check out the CT, but I know that takes a bit of time out of the days we have and I have heard mixed things about whether it is worth the effort. I know they are lovely towns and walking from town to town sounds nice. But we were just in Amalfi Coast last year and not sure if they are so different from those towns to make the trip worthwhile especially since we've never been to Florence before. So just wanted to get some initial thoughts/suggestions on the plan, and see if people think those day trips are good ideas and good places to see.

Thanks for any help.
Mar 8th, 2015, 08:45 AM

How many days will you have on the ground in Italy? And what time of year will this be?

The Cinque Terre are very different from the Amalfi Coast, apart from the fact that they're on the sea and have cliffs. However, you seem to have a lot planned for the time you'll be in Florence, and I wouldn't consider the Cinque Terre unless you can spend at least a few nights there. I myself also wouldn't want to go there in high season, but also not at a time when bad weather would be likely.
Mar 8th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. We'll be there in mid-September. Will probably have 7-8 days total (arriving on either Friday or Saturday and flying home the following Sunday). If we were going to do CT, we would definitely stay there at least a night, but i know there are a lot of other things we are trying to do and we definitely don't want to overdo things. Always a difficult tradeoff. would love to see it all but know that's not possible, at least not on this trip.
Mar 8th, 2015, 10:51 AM

CT is a pretty long haul compared to other places you mention. All doable by train, except Siena, where you take a bus. Schedules on the Trenialia web site, using italian city names.

Search this Thread